Eli: People Will Say They're in Love/Just the Highlights (52)

After that girl's conversation with Julie, she did in fact ask me out. We went on date, nothing special, and never went out again. So if you were hoping that girl was Nora and you'd get more clarity about all that, then I'm sorry. Nora comes later and I'm not even sure if I want to talk about her then.

Even though that "relationship" was doomed from the start, I never forgot it because it was the first time anyone full out asked either of us what was going on. Like not only did they assume that she and I were a thing, they also thought it was so serious that they would be somehow interfering if they got too close. As a result, they asked our opinion.

Sometimes, however, they didn't ask and just assumed. Well, assumed more than people usually did. Like one time I was flirting with this girl, Jaclyn, god she was hot, and then she totally shut me down because she thought I was involved with Julie. Naturally, I didn't get her number. What a waste of charm. And believe me, I was charming back then. Oh to be young...

"Hey, Jaclyn, how's it going?"

"Hey Eli..."

"You're looking good today."

"Thanks, you don't look too bad yourself."

"Stop, you'll make me blush."

"You guys have a game today?"

"Of course. What's a weekday without a baseball game?"

"Not a day I want to live through."

"You going to come support the team?"

"Probably."

"You going to come and support me?"

"I don't know, I think you already have Julie for that."

"Wait, what?"

"Don't you have Julie to come support you? I mean you're always flirty and stuff but I never asked you out cause I heard that you and Jules were an item."

"We're not an item. We're barely even friends."

"You call her sweet pea."

"To piss her off."

"You're always together."

"Because fate loves to mess with us that way. Plus neither of us cares what the other thinks so we can stand each other even if we're pissed."

"You guys always seem pretty cozy."

"Funny, I never pegged you for stupid. But before you said that I would say that thinking Jules and I were cozy was something only stupid people thought."

"But yet you call her Jules."

"So do you. Are you guys a thing? I sure hope not cause then I can't ask you out."

"Before you ask, I'm going to have to say no."

"Why? Julie and I aren't a thing, it's no big deal."

"I think you guys are going to realize how you feel eventually and I don't want to get involved in that. I'll see you around Eli."

"Wait, Jaclyn-"

"Bye."

"What the hell just happened?"

~~~

See that symmetry? If not, go read the end of the last chapter and then read this again. Personally, I love it.