Julie: A Night Out/Just the Highlights (226)

After my conversation with Eli (it was more of a lecture, really), he started turning things around. He got better about being there for Ava and not leaving everything up to Casey and I. Soon we were just helping out, not raising Ava for him. But because he's human, and because humans make mistakes, Eli had some rough spots. It was the only natural thing.

For instance, one night I offered to watch Ava while Eli had a night out with some guy friends. He had thrown all his energy into taking care of Ava but I could tell he needed a break. There was only so much time to go on like this. He needed to go to a sports bar, drink a beer, and talk about football with some of his friends. Everyone needs a release and if Eli didn't get his he would lose it. At first he didn't want to go, but I was able to convince him. I was happy to bring some of my work over to their house and watch Ava. It was for the better good.

So I hung out with Ava and made her some dinner, the Kraft macaroni and cheese she loved so much, and read her a story when it was time to go to bed. Making Ava go to bed was a long process now, she never wanted to actually sleep. I was sure it was because Nora had died while Ava was sleeping and she didn't want anything like that to happen again. But there was no way I could vocalize that to her or to Eli. Either way, I loved Ava and I was fine with spending the extra time with her. As long as she finally fell asleep I was happy.

Once she was in bed and sleeping soundly, I went to watch some TV. It was nine o'clock and if Eli actually listened to the instructions I had given him, he wouldn't be back until midnight. At some point I fell asleep, I had never been a night owl, and was shocked to see that it was now three in the morning and Eli still wasn't home. I scrambled for my phone, panicked that something had happened to him, and saw no messages and got no answer when I called him.

Finally, about an hour later, I heard a car pull up in front of the house. I yanked open the door, relieved to see Eli getting out of a cab. I was less relieved when I saw exactly how drunk he was. And I definitely wasn't relieved to see an equally drunk woman get out of the cab with him. By the time he saw me in the doorway I was completely pissed. He tried to call out to me, he seemed so proud of himself, the bastard, but I went back into the house and slammed the door before he could actually say anything.

 He tried to call out to me, he seemed so proud of himself, the bastard, but I went back into the house and slammed the door before he could actually say anything

 "What's wrong with you? Why'd you close the door?"

"Shh!"

"What?"

"Your daughter is sleeping. There's no reason for you to wake her up."

"What are you doing?"

"I'm whisper yelling, you asshole! Ava doesn't need to wake up and see her father drinking himself to death."

"Hey, I'm not-"

"What the hell were you even thinking! I said to take a night off, to relax, have a few beers. I didn't say for you to come home drunk in the middle of the night with a woman."

"You have no right to tell me what to do."

"Fine, then you have no right to ask me to watch Ava or to take her to school if you have to work. If I have no right to be mad at you then you have no right to ask me for help."

"You're being unfair. I'm allowed to have some fun!"

"Yes, you are. But you're not allowed to act like you're in college again when you have a daughter waiting for you at home. You have to accept that your actions have consequences."

"Thanks a lot, Mom."

"Oh fuck off."

"I don't give a shit about-"

"Just stop talking. Why are you acting like this? You were doing so well but obviously you don't actually care about anyone enough to act like an adult."

"Well-"

"Would Nora want you to act like this? Don't you think she'd be ashamed of you?"

"DON'T SAY HER NAME."

"I miss her too, I really do. But your behavior is unacceptable."

"Get out of my house."

"No."

"Julie..."

"I am not leaving. Ava is sleeping and terrified of people leaving her. If anyone's leaving, it's you."

"Fine. Stay."

"I don't need your permission. Pay the cabbie and get that woman out of here."

"Don't-"

"Just leave me alone. I'm going to the guest room. Do whatever the hell you want, you always do anyway."