Eli: The (Not So) Terrible Twos/Just the Highlights (188)

By the time Ava's second birthday arrived, both of our sets of parents had forgiven us. Sure, my parents (at least my mom) had forgiven me a while ago but Nora's parents didn't come around until sometime after Ava's first birthday. They called one afternoon and Nora talked to them (for once they actually let her talk) for a long time before she hung up. Then she told me they were coming to stay for a while, to see their grandchild.

It wasn't until a few months after that that they actually warmed up to me as well. They actually got to know me and, again, on account of Ava, were able to get past the whole wedding thing and actually see me as Nora's husband, not some kid she had just met.

So when we had Ava's birthday party, just a small little thing with our parents and a couple people we knew from Ava's play group, it was nice. Ava hadn't (and never really would) hit the "terrible twos" and everyone had a really good time. Nothing was fixed but we were all trying, and that's all that mattered.

 Nothing was fixed but we were all trying, and that's all that mattered

    "I'd say tonight was a success."

    "I think any night that involves birthday cake can be considered a success."

    "Especially when you somehow find a way to eat it all."

    "It's a gift."

    "An obnoxious gift."

    "Is Ava asleep?"

    "Finally. I love that kid but I think we have to keep sugar away from her forever."

    "Well I think I can take care of the birthday cakes but you have to help me with everything else."

    "No way, you're in charge of keeping her away from sugar. I'm not going to be the bad cop."

    "Why do I have to be the bad cop? I'm already going to be on the outside because I'm a dad, I can't be even more excluded from the girls club by keeping her away from sugar."

    "I have plenty of stuff I have to deal with because I do have that bond with her so you have to take this one."

    "I'll take one of those problems for you and you can take the sugar thing if you're so adamant about it."

    "So you can explain to her what a period is and how to use a tampon?"

    "..."

    "That's what I thought.

"Girls are so confusing."

    "Like boys are so understandable?"

    "To me they are!"

    "Then maybe someday we just might have to have a boy."

    "..."

    "I don't mean like soon. I mean eventually, at some point in our lives."

    "I think that... is a great idea."

    "You don't sound very sure."

    "I'm just a little surprised but I think it will be great. Amazing, even."

    "Good."

    "..."

    "..."

    "Nora?"

    "Yes?"

    "I love you."

    "I love you too."