Eli: That Moment/Just the Highlights (60)

Like I should have predicted, Jaclyn ditched me as soon as we got to the dance. I saw her from time to time, always with another guy. But I didn't care, I wasn't too invested in her or anyone else at the moment. It was too exhausting.

Julie got there a while after us, already looking exhausted. She looked pretty, in a different way than she usually did.

At the time I couldn't really see her dress, she was wearing a guy's suit jacket over it. It wasn't her date's, it was a mutual friend's, who happened to have a girlfriend but asked Julie to hold the jacket while he and his girlfriend danced and then Julie had gotten cold. I remember thinking that she looked pretty cute with the huge jacket covering almost all of her.

Anyway, a guy had been harassing a friend of ours and a couple of the girls called one of the younger teachers over to go distract him from the girl. The teacher went and Julie and I watched, stunned.

We lost sight of the teacher on the dance floor and I got bored, starting to dance again. Julie got annoyed at me and tried to get me to stop but then I had an idea. I thought to myself "Eli, you want to dance and here's this cute girl who looks cuter than usual standing in front of you and she's glaring at you in a completely non-threatening way. Why don't you just ask her to dance?"

So I did.

I grabbed her hand and pulled her along with me, weaving through the crowds of people and pulling her to me, holding each of her hands in mine and dancing like an idiot, hoping she would respond. Luckily for me, she did.

And dancing with her, looking down and seeing her laughing up at me, I knew it was one of those moments.

It was one of those moments where you stop for a second and think to yourself "how did I get here?" Not in a bad way, not even a good way. Just in a wondering way. One of those moments that you'll know you'll remember, no matter what happens. The kind of moments that you need to appreciate because you only get a few in a lifetime.

 The kind of moments that you need to appreciate because you only get a few in a lifetime

"Hey, Eli, wait up!"

"I'm waiting."

"One sec."

"God, Nichols, walk a little faster."

"I'm short and that means I have short legs. Get over it."

"You're just so friendly in the morning. What's up?"

"I just wanted to thank you."

"For what?"

"For Saturday night."

"I'm not following."

"When you asked me to dance."

"Oh yeah. What about it?"

"I just wanted to thank you cause it basically turned my whole night around. I wasn't having the best time but us dancing made the whole night a lot more fun."

"Really?"

"Yeah. Cause after we danced I went and danced with a bunch more people and I wouldn't have if I hadn't danced with you. You said that I could use a little crazy and you were right so thank you."

"Anytime, sweet pea."

"I'll see you."

"See you."