Eli: Drifting/Just the Highlights (20)

When a group of people enter high school, it's natural for them to drift apart. The group of people I was friends with during middle school and high school were the ones who would do anything but what was natural. Later on Julie will let you know what she thinks about all that (I believe her favorite term for us is "co-dependent children") but I'm going to let her handle that. Because when we were participating in one phenomenon, there was another one going on.

You see, Julie and I started drifting away from one another. I know I just said that it's natural and I seem like an idiot for saying the opposite so what I just said, but I know it was different.

Usually when people drift away, it's because you don't see each other as much. With Julie and I, we still saw each other. We saw each other a lot, actually. Our friend group stayed together, remember. We just stopped talking. Soon we could never approach each other. We wouldn't fight, wouldn't bicker, nothing. Picture out group of friends as a solar system. Julie and I were both still in the same solar system, we just didn't cross paths.

I can't say for sure what we had before that but I know that once we started freshman year, we lost it. And I don't think we ever got it back.

 And I don't think we ever got it back

"Julie!"

"Yeah?"

"What's up?"

"Nothing much. What do you want?"

"I have to want something?"

"You've said that to me before."

"True. How've you been?"

"Fine."

"Fine?"

"Yeah."

"And you say I'm not chatty."

"You aren't."

"You're giving me a run for my money right now."

"Sorry."

"You have nothing left to say?"

"Nope."

"Okay then."

"Go find one of your little skanks. I'm sure they'll be happy to hang onto your every word."

"Passive aggressive much?"

"Wow, I didn't know you actually know what that meant."

"What can I say, skanks' expectations for players have gone way up these days."