Julie: At Least Be Civil/Just the Highlights (18)

In the eighth grade, I did a potentially very stupid thing. I got fed up with one of the mean girls I was "friends" with and screamed at her in the middle of class. And, to top it all up, I started crying right after. I know, I'm just a hard ass.

As you can imagine, that basically severed any kind of bond I had with those girls. It wasn't the worst thing that could've happened, I suppose. If I hadn't done it they probably would've kicked me out soon after. I'm a sort of maverick. Or I at least try to be. The words "she tried" should be on my tombstone.

The one thing I didn't think of when I lashed out (not that there was a lot of thinking going on, I always figured my actual ditching of the group would have more finesse) was the people I wasn't especially close friends with and neither were those girls. I didn't think about how, in their little middle schooler minds because to middle schoolers everything has to be a war, it's all black and white to them, they might take sides. Eli was one of those people.

This little revelation didn't come to me until I saw him that Monday (I had my little temper tantrum on a Friday) in PE. I walked up to Hannah, a mutual friend of ours, who was in the middle of a conversation with him, and as soon as he saw me he stopped mid-sentence and walked away. I figured he was just pissed, that he would get over it.

He did that until the end of the year.

That's five months. Five.

Eventually he gave up (he grew tired of always having to stop his conversations halfway) but that was only really because I had a reluctant truce with the girls who I did not like and who did not like me. Eli is stubborn like that.

I just wish he could've been a little more civil. Like at least pretended that he wasn't totally biased. But whatever, it's all over now. It was long enough ago that it shouldn't hurt my feelings, or at least my ego, anymore.

Isn't it?

"Hey."

"What."

"Excuse me?"

"What do you want."

"Why do I have to want something?"

"Because you always want something."

"I do not."

"Whatever."

"You're such an asshole sometimes."

"That's just your particular opinion."

"Whatever."

"You're such an asshole sometimes."

"That's my line."

"I don't care."