Julie: Theater/Just the Highlights (70)

One of the most important things in my high school career was the theater program. I never had an official job, I was a floater, a wanderer of sorts. But anyway, I loved being a techie more than I loved being anything else in high school.

So, naturally, the drama teacher was my favorite teacher in the entire school. Mrs. Carter had been doing and teaching theater for years and was more than willing to share her years of wisdom with us. I learned enough from her that I almost considered changing my major from English to something with Theatre Arts. I'm glad I didn't now because I like my job, but I think that I would have also been happy if I had taken that route.

The last show of my career was Beauty and the Beast and I did lights. It was a month or two before prom and being in the show had its advantages.

During the course of the show, four people were asked to prom. One girl was asked by a guy also in the show, one was asked by her boyfriend in the show, and then the last two were girls who were in the show asked by guys not in the show.

The last girl to be asked, Ella, was the one who played Belle. Unlike the others, she was asked by someone I knew.

Eli.

"Julia, I-"

"Julia, I-"

"Yes?"

"Nothing. Just ignore me."

"No, what is it?"

"It's nothing."

"You know, when someone says 'it's nothing' after trying to say something, it's usually important."

"Well the exception always proves the rule so just drop it."

"So you really want me to drop it?"

"Yes."

"Really?"

"Yes, really. Jesus."

"Don't say the Lord's name in vain."

"You're not religious."

"So?"

"Jesus Christ you're annoying."

"You're the annoying one."

"You know you love it."