Julie: Pleasant Goodbyes/Just the Highlights (178)

The system Ryan and I had of keeping things light and and fun worked for a couple of months. We had a good time and we were ready to continue to having a good time for as long as we could. But four months in our fun time hit a snag. Ryan was called in to some higher ups office and they offered him some promotion. A promotion in a Chicago division of the company.

Of course, there was no way I could tell Ryan that he couldn't go. We were casual and only a few months in so I had no right to tell him to do anything, let alone make a decision about his job for him. Especially since Ryan still had family there and he had always flirted with the idea of moving back. He, of course, also couldn't ever imagine me to move with him (I would have said no anyway, I had no love for the Windy City).

So he took the job and moved a few weeks later (isn't that always how it goes? they don't tell you about the promotion until you have to move right away). And I'm happy to say that we ended on happy terms, I helped him pack and drove him and a few of his buddies to the airport to say goodbye. We both knew that this was the best thing to do and that actually made it a little bit easier.

Ryan was very happy there in Chicago, I kept in touch with him enough to know that much. He ended up getting married to a woman his brother knew and they have two kids. They're a good looking family, not that I'm surprised. Ryan always had that look of guy who would have a picture perfect family. The whole group of them are very happy and I think that's the best sign you can ask for that we weren't meant to be long term. Things always work out like they're supposed to (at least, I like to think so).

 Things always work out like they're supposed to (at least, I like to think so)

"So this is it."

"Yep."

"My flight is pretty soon so I better get going."

"Oh, yeah. Here, I'll let you go."

"Hey, I didn't mean you had to run off right away. I just didn't want to stand here awkwardly too long. If we did that then we couldn't have a real goodbye."

"Oh."

"..."

"..."

"Goodbye Julia Nichols."

"Goodbye Ryan Osborne."

"Would you ever consider coming to Chicago to visit me?"

"Would you ever consider coming back to New York to visit me?"

"Yeah I figured you'd say something like that."

"Things just go that way sometimes I guess."

"Well if you're ever in Chicago..."

"I'll keep that in mind."

"Good. I'll see you."

"See you."

"..."

"..."

"Okay, I'm actually leaving now."

"Yeah, get out of here."

"Yes ma'am."