Julie: Permanently Ten Years Old/Just the Highlights (38)

By the middle of sophomore year, I was fifteen and a half and could begin working. I had gotten a job at American Eagle, one I was lucky to get. They usually didn't hire people until they were at least sixteen, sometimes until they were seventeen. But the manager was a family friend so they made an exception. I worked with another family friend, whose best friend worked with us as well. I thought this would make the experience "fun" but it didn't.

Because my co-workers were already friends and the only ones I had known before getting the job had known me since I was in diapers and especially since I was the youngest worker there, I was treated like I was no more than ten-years-old. I was not trusted to do certain things because I was "too young," even though there was another girl working there about my age that was trusted to do those things.

It was endlessly frustrating. But I kept working, just thinking of the paycheck I'd receive every other Friday. That always seemed to boost my mood.

 That always seemed to boost my mood

"Julie?"

"..."

"Jules?"

"..."

"Julia?"

"Ahh!"

"Sorry."

"You scared the shit out of me, Masters!"

"Well maybe you shouldn't have headphones in at work."

"Well maybe you shouldn't bother me when I'm at work. Besides, visiting people at work is something friends do. You made it very clear that we aren't friends."

"I guess, but-"

"Just go away, Eli."

"But we haven't talked yet."

"I don't care. You came, you scared me, now go away."

"I want to apologize."

"..."

"Did you hear me?"

"I heard you."

"Any response?"

"I'm just processing."

"What's there to process?"

"You never apologize so I think that's a lot to process."

"I do to."

"No you don't."

"Well I am now."

"All righty then."

"Do you forgive me?"

"Nah."

"Why not?"

"Cause I don't wanna."

"I'll stand here just to annoy you until you do."

"..."

"..."

"Ugh, fine. I forgive you. Now get out."

"I knew you couldn't stay mad at me!"

"Just go."

"Pushy. I like it."