Julie: Casey/Just the Highlights (186)

After that first lunch, Casey asked me to go to dinner with him that night. We went out again the next night, didn't see each other for a few days because of work, and then went out again. It would have been easier if we were both working for newspapers but since we weren't, we were on slightly different schedules. The New Yorker ran itself very similarly to a paper, but when we went to press on different days and at different times so our free nights barely matched up. But we did always try to find time together.

My relationship with Casey was casual but never as casual as it had been with Ryan. There was a history there and years of knowing each other, we already knew that we got along so we didn't need to waste the first few weeks figuring that out. Instead we went out and had fun but we both knew this was more of a long term thing. There was so way either of us could bow out of this unless it was going really badly. We had come too far to bow out of this early and we had to give it the shot this thing deserved.

And I think we really did. Give it the shot it deserved, I mean.

 Give it the shot it deserved, I mean

"So what's he like?"

"Abby..."

"Come on! You've barely talked about the guy. I need details."

"I gave you all the details I have."

"Nuh uh. You haven't told me what he looks like, what you each ordered, if he ordered another round of drinks so you guys could keep talking, and if he kissed you goodnight! All you said was that it was a fun date."

"Fine. He has dark hair and hazel eyes and he's about six feet tall. He was a swimmer in high school and still looks like one but I'm afraid that he'll go prematurely bald like his dad. But that's mostly because he works at The Wall Street Journal and that can make anyone go prematurely bald."

"This much better. More details please."

"Okay, what we ordered. He ordered some kind of raw fish and I ordered rice because he forgot I didn't like sushi and he was so excited that he knew some great place that I couldn't tell him."

"Aw, I'm sorry."

"It's all right, he figured it out pretty quickly and bought me a burger afterwards."

"Good boy."

"So no he did not order another round of drinks but that was so we go get that burger so I guess the burger could count for that extra round."

"I'd count it."

"And that's all."

"Liar!"

"Shh! We're in a public place."

"Then tell the truth."

"I don't even know what you mean."

"I asked you to tell me what he looked like, what you each ordered, if he ordered another round of drinks, and if he kissed you goodnight."

"And?"

"You didn't answer the last one."

"You're insane, you know that?"

"I've been told once or twice."

"Yes, he kissed me goodnight."

"Tongue?"

"Just shut up already."