Chapter 19

Tobias POV
"Your son?!" I ask louder than I should've because I see the boy flinch. "Yes." Evelyn says. I glance at tris and she looks curious whereas I am quite angry. "Explain." Tris says. "Well, the affair.. I got pregnant and had Luca. I've been hiding him here for the last few years." She explains and this tips me over the edge. "Tris." I whisper in tris's ear. "Take Luca out of the room." She stares at me and then Takes the boys hand. They both have smiles on as they leave the room.

Now I stand in an empty room with only my mother and I. "Tobias.. I." I cut her off. "You left me, You abandoned me. But you are protecting this boy, a boy who has never had a belt to the back, has never seen hell in his fathers eyes. You are protecting this boy but you never protected me." I yell at her and I can see that evelyn wants to cry. "Your a coward. You want to rebuild this relationship between us yet you make it worse!" "Tobias I'm trying! I'm trying to like tris!" She says and I scoff at that. "Your using her. Your using her to get to me, how pathetic are you?!" I exclaim. She opens mouth to say something but decided against it. "Why did you call me here? Was it just to introduce us to you son that you hid from me?!" I spit the word son at her. "No. But what I want to tell you tris has to hear as well." She says. I sigh and glare at her.

I walk out of the room to get tris. I find her with Luca on the floor surrounded with his toys. They are both laughing and she's great with him. I hadn't realized I was smiling but seeing tris with Luca makes me envision our future together. "Hey tobias!" Tris says turning towards me. "Hey. Evelyn wants to talk to both of us." She nods and hugs Luca. She takes my hand and we walk back into the room where my mother is. "Tris hi!" She says and tris nods to acknowledge her.

"So what I really wanted to talk to you guys about was.." She begins and I can see her hands tremble and sweat building above her eyebrows. "If you would take Luca in." She finishes and I'm stunned. I look at tris briefly and she has a small smile. "Can we talk it over and have time to think?" I ask. "Of course!" Evelyn says.

Tris thanks her and we walk back to the train, we sit in silence till we get back to the apartment.