Chapter 21

Tris POV
I'm not really able to process what just happened, how mad tobias got and stormed away. I should have been more considerate of his feelings and thought more about how his childhood was but I didn't. I go change into some black shorts and one of his shirts, it's a dark grey color and his scent is coating it. I go out to the balcony and just think.

<<<<<<<time lapse>>>>>>>
I was sitting comfortably on the couch when the door opens and tobias steps in. He doesn't look up from the floor and even when closing the door he's silent. He turns slightly towards me and I look away not wanting him to think I was staring. "Tris." I whispers. It's almost too soft to hear but I do. I turn his way and see him walking towards me. "Can I talk to you?" He asks again still in a soft voice. "Sure." I say and scoot over to make room for him. I wrap my arms around my legs and bring my knees up to my chest. He's still not making eye contact with me and he seems bothered by something, broken by something almost.

"I'm sorry. I'm sorry for snapping at you and then yelling at you! I'm sorry." He says. "I shouldn't have taken my anger and everything out on you." He says and I slip my hand into his. He finally looks up, his blue eyes glisten in the light from the window. "I forgive you. I'm sorry for not being more understanding." I say and he shakes his head. "Don't apologize." He says. "What's wrong?" I ask knowing there's something he's not telling me.

He looks away not letting me see his eyes, but instead I see a tear come and I watch as it falls down his face. I wipe it away and turn his chin so he's looking at me. His eyes are glassy with tears and I can almost feel whatever pain and sadness he's feeling right now. "Oh tobias. What is it?" I ask. He lets out and deep breath. "Evelyn asked us to take Luca in because she dying." The last word almost doesn't make it out of his mouth before he's a puddle of tears. I bring his head to my shoulder and I can feel his salty tears soaking my shirt. He pulls back, "I can't believe she's actually dying." He whispers. I touch his cheek. "I'm so sorry tobias. Really I am." I tell him. I never did like evelyn but now that I know the truth it's hard to think negatively of her.

"She was my mother, she was there for me as a child before she left. She did love me for awhile. Now she actually going to go for real." He says and I think he's finally run out of tears. I stay quiet not knowing what to say or how to comfort him. "I want to take him in." He whispers. "What?" "Luca. I think we should take him in." He says clearer than before. He looks at me. "You sure?" I ask and he nods. "Your great with him and I always imagined us having kids. Also it's like a small part of my mother that I'll have for when she gone." His gaze never falls off me and I smile thinking of him imagining our future. "I think those are good points." I say. I lean my head on his shoulder. "So it's settled then?" I ask to make sure. "Yes." He says and I can feel the smirk on his face.

"I love you tobias eaton." I say and he turns me around so my lips meet with his. They are soft and warm, comforting and safe. This is love, this is something you search for your entire life. And I, beatrice prior have found it.