Chapter 50

Tobias POV

The next day tris took luca to breakfast, I said I just wanted some alone time at home. I go out to the balcony and look out at the city and at the sky. The sky has fully risen so no color is left trailing in the sky from the sunset, just the pure blue color.

"Hey." I turn and see tris in the doorway. "You've been standing in that same position for an hour." She says, she walks towards me slowly. "I wanted to make sure you were okay." She says. She sends me a small smile and then sits in one of the chairs we have out here, we thought we could use them.

"It's her birthday." I say. I almost choke on the tears I'm holding back. Tris realizes who I'm talking about and her face shows compassion and sadness.

"Its hard. I never thought I'd actually want to see her on her birthday, but I do." I say letting the truth flow out of me. Tris stands up and walks over to me, "She loved you. She did. And I know that it's hard, trust me I do." She says. And she's right, she's lost both her parents. I've lost my mother, I didn't loose my father, I've just never had one.

"But as time goes on, and certain people come into your life, it gets easier." She says. She smiles softly at me again and then leaves, closing the door behind her.

Her words still linger in my mind, and how they sooth me. But the one thing I remember, and appreciate and that even makes tris more special, is the fact that even though she said comforting words, she didn't try to comfort me. No hug, no kiss, no nothing. But the thing is, she knew I didn't need it, she knew that I didn't want it. She knows me, even in times like these when its hard to really know the person's thoughts and emotions, she knew,