Chapter 33

Tobias POV
Tris walks with me the whole way there and never lets go of me. She doesn't say anything but she doesn't have to, her presence is comforting enough. "Here we are." I say getting to the room. She still holds my hand as I twist the knob. We enter and I'm expecting her to say my name or see some joy in her eyes seeing me, by I know she can't. She's gone for real.

We walk over to her bed and I let go of tris's hand, I look over my mother. She's pale and looks frozen in time, I take her hand in mine just like when she died. Of all we've been through, the pain of my childhood. The lies and secrets, the coldness and hatred. I can't help but think of her love she gave me as a child or shortly before she died. I can't seem to bring thoughts of the times is hated her, the times I couldn't believe her. She's gone, my mother is truly gone.

"You okay?" Tris asks and I look up. "You've been staring for 20 minutes." She says softly. I hadn't noticed how fast the time went by. I nod and lay my mothers hand back down and walk over to tris. I've cried myself dry, I take her hand and we walk out. We walk out of the waiting room, out of the hospital. We get on the train and I stay absolutely quiet, I can sense tris wanting to say something but she stays silent for me.

We get back to the apartment and I unlock the door and enter. "I'm sorry." Tris's voice fills the air. "Why?" I ask heading into the kitchen. "About your mother." She says and I can see the paining in her eyes. "It's alright." I say. It's not fully lying, I've been through this pain before so I know it somewhat. "You tired?" She asks. "Actually I am." I say and smile lightly. "Let's take a nap." She suggests. We walk into the bedroom and slip off our shoes, we climb into bed without removing our day clothes and fall asleep like that, wrapped in each other's warmth, comfort and love.