Chapter 79

Tris POV
"Tomorrow... When we choose. You have to think of the family. But you also have to think of yourself." I jerk awake. Two years later, Caleb's words are still echoing in my mind. His voice hiding something that I hadn't noticed on that day. Now I know that he was never selfless.. he always thought of himself. And only himself.

"Hey. You okay?" Tobias asks, sleep trailing in his voice. His hand touching my back, soothing me a little. I nod.

"I'm fine." I lie. I feel him lay back down again, his hand leaves my back but the feel is replaced with a cool emptiness.

How can I be fine when I know what's ahead of me. The boy who's my own blood... my own brother. I have to kill. I have to kill the boy I died for, the one I've stood up for so many times.

I shiver, not because of the fact that I have to kill him, but the fact that I know it's the right thing to do. And that a small part of me wants to. I lay back down so that Tobias doesn't think something really is up. I stare up at the ceiling, which is basically another cement wall.

I feel Tobias shift and he comes closer to me, wrapping his arms around me. Taking me in his hold, kissing my temple. Normally I would snuggle back into him, comforted by his embrace. But I'm not, I can't get over all the thoughts going through my head right now.

I'm glad that Tobias is half asleep and can't read my mind, or he'd know for sure that I wasn't okay.

****
"I'd like to speak to Caleb privately for a few minutes." I demand, telling Jeanine. Tobias and I are strapped up again, laying on the uncomfortable chairs.

"Why would I let you do that?" She asks, hands on her hips looking at me.

"You're going to kill me anyway.. Why not?" I tell her. She stares at me for a moment, then allows the guard to unstrap me. As I'm walking out, I nod to Tobias and he nods back. We both know that today is the day it'll all end- hopefully. We made plans early this morning, before we were dragged in here.

The guard leaves me in a small room, with only a desk and two chairs. As the door closes, it opens again shortly after. Caleb walks in, his small and wimpy body dressed from head to toe in blue. A true erudite.

"Beatrice." He says. "Caleb." I say flatly.

"Why did you want to see me?" He asks, walking to one of the unoccupied chairs- I'm standing.

"Can't I see my own brother before I'm executed?" I ask, and he looks blankly at me.

"I suppose so..." He says a bit leery, which he should be.

"How are they treating you?" I ask. "Better than you." Caleb fires back quick, as if it's some type of race to say the worst come back first.

I fake smile, and sit down across from him. There's a slam coming from the outside and Caleb hears it too. He stands, "What was that?" He asks and I hear a grunt I know as Tobias's. I get up and walk to Caleb, pushing him into the wall and locking the door.

"Get up!" I yell at him. He slowly gets up from his heap on the floor.

"You wouldn't kill your own brother now would you??" He asks.

"Well you let me die for you, and you're planning to kill me. So...." I say and there's a high pitched scream.

"Don't kill me." Caleb begs covering his face. "You're a coward. A big f*cking ass coward." I tell him, and by now he's standing, but a bit wobbly.

"And I'm not going to kill you. I'm just gonna hurt you really really bad." I say. (A/N: Anyone thinking of the joker from the suicide squad trailer??? Lol.)

The scared look he's wearing grows and that's what I was going for. There are more slams and screams from outside, and I know that they called in more guards for sure.

I walk over to Caleb and punch him right in the jaw, making him fall and grip his face in pain. "I died for you and still you put me through all this!" I yell at him.

"Stop using that against me!" He yells back, groaning from the pain. I kick him hard, my anger bubbling.

"How could I not. Caleb, dying for someone isn't easy." "Was for you." He spits, and that earns another kick.

"It wasn't. I had to leave Tobias. I had to leave him!" I scream with tears creaking my voice.

"You've never been abnegation, and I don't even think you know what side you're truly on." I tell him and pull him up from his collar, pushing him to the wall again.

"You go with erudite, but when something threatens you or things get rough, you're back to abnegation. Back to my mercy." I tell him, and punch him twice.

The door is banged on, and Caleb is knocked out on the floor. I go unlock the door ready to fight if it's someone besides Tobias. I open it but it is him. I run into his arms, and hug him hard. Now never wanting his arms to leave me, never wanting him to leave me.

My face buried into the crook of his neck, able to smell the sweat built on him. But the smell of wind he wears too.

He pulls back and I look at his face, there are some bruises and his lips somewhat busted. But I doubt he feels it.

"Is she?" I ask. "Not yet. But ten guards are." He says. "Why didn't you kill her??" I ask.

"She'll be dead in a matter of minutes. I injected her with everything she injected Luca with." Tobias tells me and I smile, with faint tears at Luca's memory.

"Can you.." I can't finish, just point to the room where Caleb lays unconscious. "Are you sure?" Tobias asks and I nod. I can't kill him.. It may show a weakness in me... But I can't.

Tobias goes in and I walk into the metal room where Jeanine should be. She's screaming, laying on the same cold table that Luca was on. "Not pleasant is it?" I ask her. She looks to me and tries to speak, but can't.

"You did this to a five year old! " I yell. "You can hardly take it, how do you think he felt??" I yell again.

"He's dead." I say coldly, and I see her having trouble breathing. I walk closer to her bedside knowing that she's approaching the end.

'I'm sorry.' I see her mouth, unable to use her voice. I scoff, "Too little, too late." I say and she's gone.

Jeanine Matthews is dead.