Chapter 62

Tobias POV
"So?" I ask Caleb. "We're still running and waiting for a few more tests but it shouldn't be too long now." He says. I had to wait in the room Caleb brought me and they took tris into a testing room. I didn't want her to go, not to leave my arms. I wanted to make sure she was safe, and in my arms she was.

Now she's in a lab getting tests run on her, taking me back to the memories of erudite. Seeing her in pain from all the simulations and seeing her laid out on the table peter rolled out. Laying there cold and motionless, but not dead.

"She's done." Caleb says snapping me out of my thoughts. He motions me to follow him into the room, "Just a fair warning.. she woke up." He says more like a mumble. Why would he warn me that she woke up, I'm so thankful she's awake. As we step into her room, I see why.

Tris is on the hospital bed, In an ugly powder blue gown, although she still looks beautiful in it. But she's thrashing around on the bed, using all her strength.

Tears are streaming down her face and she's yelling stop, except her voice is going so her screams aren't powerful. Men in lab coats with dorky glasses surround her and her screams and cries just continue. "Tris!" Her name comes out of my mouth and I run over to her, having to push men out of my way.

I see Caleb reassuring the scientists and soon they all leave the room. She just keeps crying and I can't blame her, so I hold her. Simply just hold her, no words, just love and care. I hear her sobs die down so I pull back.

"You're okay." I tell her softy. She sniffles. "Luca?" She whispers. "He's with Christina." I tell her. "It was awful." She croaks. "I know sweetheart." "They ran so many tests, so many people." She tells me whimpering.

"Well all the testing is going to tell us how we can cure you and help you." I tell her trying to show the optimistic side of me. She nods not really wanting to agree with me but surely not wanting to disagree. "Hey! We got the results." I hear Caleb's voice fill the room. I turn in my chair to face him and tris just tilts her head to see him.

"We had to simplify some of the tests because of you pregnancy." He begins and sounds totally pissed when he comes to the pregnancy part. That just plasters a smirk on my face. "But the problem stood out for sure. The first couple tests we already knew what was causing this, we had to do the others to make sure." He says and I watch Tris's face turn from neutral to anger. I touch her hand to tell her calm down.

"It seems like you said on the phone four, it's side effects from the resurgent serum." He says and my heart pounds faster. "It's seemed to take over quite a few of your body systems, and your immune system was one. So that's why your body is slow to defend itself." He says and it's no doubt this guy was erudite.

"We think we can cure it, but it would include more tests, procedures, and lots of resting." He says. "What about the baby?" Tris asks. I watch him for a moment, there's something he's not telling us yet. "Yeah, what happened to the baby?" I ask trying to disguise my anger from tris. "I'm getting to that." Caleb answers.

"The baby.. .the thing is..." He keeps stuttering. "Spit it out." I tell him knowing tris would be saying that too if she could.

"The resurgent serum itself has been known to decrease the chances of becoming pregnant, Beatrice in your case that's true." He says and I close my eyes. I move my hand to her abdomen and she places hers on top of mine. I know what he's getting to and I know what he's going to say, but I still can't bare to hear it.

"And beatrice... The baby. Well it looks like the baby didn't make it." He says and there, there's the dagger that stabbed me and tris in the heart.