Chapter 20

Tobias POV
"What do you think?" Tris asks as we enter the apartment. "I don't know." I snap still angry from the visit. "What do you think?" I ask her. She shrugs then answers. "I think we should." The words burn me. She'd really want that kid in our home, near me? She'd really want the boy to become almost a son to us?? "Why?" I ask not meeting her eyes. "Well.. When I was playing with him I realized I like that little boy. Even though he's Evelyn's doesn't mean he's bad." I roll my eyes and walk into the bedroom.

"I know your mad, mad at evelyn and the situation but that doesn't make it okay for you to be mad at me!" Tris says with one hand on her hip. "Oh really? It doesn't? And I have to ask you every time I want to be mad, and who I can be mad with or at?!" I exclaim and she looks away from me. "Tris she loves him!" "What's wrong with that?" Tris yells back. "Because she never loved me!!" I scream and storm out of the apartment. I run all the way to the train tracks and get on the incoming train.

I want to cry, to scream, to punch something, but I won't. I jump off at the factionless sector, and walk in not caring who sees me. "Tobias!" Evelyn says seeing me approach her. I don't talk to her or even look at her, I drag her into an empty room and lock the door. "Ouch tobias!" She says rubbing the part of her arm I had grabbed. "Why do you want us to take him in?" I ask not caring about my tone. She sighs. "Tell me!" I yell. "Because.. I'm dying tobias." She whispers. I almost can't hear her but I do. The words seep into my ears and melt my mind. My mothers dying.

"Your-" "dying. Yes." Evelyn says cutting me off. "I found out a few weeks ago. It's an incurable disease and soon I'll have to be admitted so that the doctors can have 24hr watch over me. But I needed Luca to be safe with someone, someone who will love him when I'm gone." She says and I slap her. "You want to leave him in the arms of loving people? WHAT ABOUT ME? You left me with a monster! And you didn't even die for real!" I scream and tears pour out now. I don't bother holding them back. "Tobias I'm sorry. Truly I am." She says and then I do something I had no intention of doing. Something I never thought I'd do. I hug her.

Her arms wrap around me as I hold her, she smells the same as she did when I was a child. Except she used to smell of safety and love now she is lacking in that scent. I pull back and wipe the tears with the back of my hand. "I'm sorry." I Mumble and she touches my cheek with her palm.

"Tobias I do love you." She says and I nod. "That's why I wanted you two to take luca in. I know tris would love him and tobias you're nothing like your father, you have no ounce of pure hate in your body. You may be dauntless but that doesn't make you cruel on the inside." She says. Looking into her eyes I know she means every word she says. "Thank you." I say still looking at her. "I'm going to talk to tris about it some more than we'll come back with an answer." I tell her and she says okay. "Sorry again." I say getting ready to leave. "Don't be." She says and kisses my cheek before I leave.