Chapter 78

Tobias POV
It's him, my mother's boy... Our boy. Sitting on a cold metal table, wires connected to him. He's screaming bloody murder and kicking rapidly.

"What are you doing to him?" Tris asks Jeanine. Her voice holding power and rage, but is cut down by tears and pain.

"Well we just injected him with a few things." She says smirking.

"What things?" I demand.

"Well we knew he'd be a bit squirmy, so we injected something to paralyze his arms for a while. It hasn't quite kicked in for his legs yet, but it will." She says and I can't believe it.

"You-" "Oh honey I'm not done."

"We injected something that can create Trigeminal Neuralgia. Which basically feels like electric shocks through the face." Jeanine says.

"And then we gave him a serum that can produce cancer cells anywhere in the body. We've been checking him every so often and now know that the cancer has spread to his chest, liver, there's a small bit of it on his neck and I think somewhere in his legs as well." She says and I before I can say anything, Tris rams her into the wall. Making her drop her device- crashing into a million pieces.

"How could you! He's a child!! Only a child!" She yells at Jeanine.

"Kill me. Go ahead, but you can't save him." Jeanine says, her voice holding no fear. Tris backs away, "He'll die?" She asks.

"He's already dying hun, get with it!" She says and walks off. Tris drops to the ground crying, and it makes me realize that she truly loved him.

It's as if it was her own child dying, but he not our. But to Tris, that doesn't matter. "I 'm going to go see him, you stay here." I tell Tris, "I can't go in. I can't see it." Tris says and I understand.

I walk through the doors, letting them shut behind me. Cries and screams bounce from wall to wall. "Luca, Luca." I whisper, kneeling beside his bed side.

"It's me.. It's me." I coo. He moves his head only a little, not much. "Daddy." He whispers. "Hi buddy." I say, brushing my fingers over his cheek. He has tear stained cheeks and he's sweating.

"It hurts." He breaths out. "I know it does, but don't focus on it. Think of something else." I tell him, but even I can't believe my words.

"And you're such a brave little boy." I tell him, closing my eyes. Trying to conceal the tears.

"Mommy." He says, "She's outside." I tell him, reopening my eyes. "No, my mommy." He says.

"What?" I ask. "I see mommy." He says and lifts his little finger, pointing straight in front of him. I look but nothing's there.

"She back! Angwel bwought her back!" He says and a small smile grows on his face.

I laugh lightly, tears dripping from my eyes. I can see her now, dressed in a burgundy dress with a navy shawl. Her hair pinned up and her eyes bright. "Tobias." Her hand reaches out, touching my shoulder. It's a soft yet powerful touch.

"Mom." I say, looking at her. I place my hand on top of hers, hoping to preserve any feeling of her.

"I have to take him, it's time." She tells me. "No. You can't just take him, don't let him die." I plead to her, even though I know what's coming.

"Tobias he's in pain. He's suffering." Evelyn tells me. I nod, "Okay." I whisper.

I kiss his forehead. "I love you Luca." Something I couldn't say before, I can now.

In the end... Evelyn was always going to reunited with Luca. And Luca never gave up on that, always knowing she'd come back. Back for him. And the little boy, laying on his death bed... was right.

****
Tris hasn't stopped crying, sometimes heavier than others- but the tears don't end. We were sent back to our cell, and I've held her ever since. I had to tell her, had to tell her that he was gone. She collapsed in my arms, to weak with pain to stand.

"My mother was there." I had told her, after she calmed a bit. She agreed with me, about the fact that that way was best. Having luca go with Evelyn, mother and son- together again.

Now her face is buried in my chest, my shirt soaked with her tears. But I don't care. My arms are holding her tightly, not wanting to let her go. "He's in a better place. A safer place." Tris says and sits up. The tears are gone now.

"Yeah, he is." I say. She stops, and gets up. She runs over to the small rusting metal toilet in here, and vomits.

"Honey." I say rubbing her back. The day's been traumatic, makes sense that she'd be sick. I felt light-headed earlier myself.

"I'm okay. I just want to go home." She says. "I know you do, I do too." I tell her honestly. She sits her back against the wall, closing her eyes for a moment.

"We have to kill her." Tris says and I wasn't expecting for her to say that. "What?"

"We have to kill Jeanine." Tris repeats. "How? And wouldn't Caleb just try to bring her back again?" I ask her.

That's when her head looks down, "We have to kill him too." She mumbles but I hear her. And I know that it pains her- even if he's hurt her.

She looks back up at me, her eyes growing in hurt and grief. I know she doesn't want to have to kill him, it's her brother. But I don't think we have a choice.

They both have to go.

(A/N: Hey everyone! Last night I posted the first chapter of the sequel to Divergent High! (Called Divergent University) Hope you'll go read it, and hope you enjoy it! Thanks.)