Self realization

Self realization
🍁

There is a myth that the path to Self-Realization is one of renouncing action, but this is incorrect: it is renouncing the desire for the result of action. Not acting does not release the desire for rewards.

¶ The Signs of a self-realized person:

Arjuna then asks how to recognize a person who is Self-realized, and he approaches this from the physical point of view, ie, are there physical traits of a person who is Self-realized.

Krishna instantly clarifies that this state does not manifest in a particular physical manner, since it is a spiritual state.

He says the Self-Realized person is one who is self-satisfied. Regardless of outer circumstance, they are ok with it; good or bad weather, joyous or sorrowful events, pleasing or threatening situations; no one event impels this person to cause or prevent any situation.

Krishna suggests that instead of judging or copying a person’s physical mannerisms, it is better emulate their higher values. A person’s mannerisms or habits, have little to do with spirit, ethics, or compassion. Steady vision comes from inner values. The way to achieve such steady vision is to learn to withdraw the senses from worldly involvement. When the body seeks something, the senses often overrule a person’s better judgment.

For example, craving and eating candy is an example of the sense of taste overriding one’s knowledge that white sugar can lead to hyperactivity, high cholesterol levels, or poor digestion.

Letting the senses distract us can lead one astray, that is, from the center of one’s own inner Soul-home. When one realizes they are so far from home, they can sincerely pray to return to themselves. They then see how much time was lost being sidetracked.

Nonetheless, a lesson can be learned. The next time one is tested, they might have greater resolve to pre- vent becoming sidetracked.

 The next time one is tested, they might have greater resolve to pre- vent becoming sidetracked