Meditation

Meditation

Meditation is best done in a clean place where you are not disturbed, such as a study or backyard. The idea of ‘controlling you mind’ is tricky because the word ‘control’ suggests force. Natural meditation means not straining to find peace as forcing thoughts out causes more stress.

Many people say, “I cannot stop thinking”. This is fine. A general suggestion is to just return to your form of meditation when you can. Meditating on God or whatever brings you some peace is beneficial. It is also difficult and unnatural to sit motionless and in perfect posture.

For some this works; for others they need to feel comfort and the ability to shift when uncomfortable. Staring at the tip of one’s nose is just one example of a meditation style.

The person must raise themselves by their Self. They must not lower themselves. For they are their own friend or enemy to their Self.

For the person who has conquered their mind, their mind is their best friend. But for those with uncontrolled minds, their mind is their worst enemy.

They who have conquered their mind, understanding beyond dualities of cold/heat, hap- piness/unhappiness, honor/dishonor, are completely rooted in their eternal Soul (para- matma).

Those who are satisfied with wisdom from direct experience of Soul, who have conquered the senses and is even-minded; for those who see a lump of clay, a stone, and gold as the same; that yogi is said to be a saint established in Self-Realization (yukta).

More esteemed still is the sage who treats all people equally, be they friends, well-wishers, enemies, neutrals, mediators, envious, saintly, or unrighteous people.

A yogi consistently remaining alone in a secluded place, controlling their mind, desireless, freed from ownership, should meditate on their inner Soul.

In a sacred and clean spot, fixing a seat that is neither too high nor too low, with kusha grass, deerskin, and natural fabric.

Seated there, fixed minded, subduing the mind and senses, they are to practice yoga (union of individual self and cosmic Self) for purifying their mind — virtuous and honest.

Hold the body, head, and neck erect, motionless, with fixed gaze on the tip of the nose, without looking around in any other direction.

Full of inner peace, fearless, steadfast in the vow of celibacy, controlling the mind; the renunciant, sits absorbed in thoughts of Me, regarding Me as their supreme goal.

Thus, ever engaged in meditation on the Self, the person aiming to unite inner Soul with cosmic Soul (yoga), with mind directed inward, attains eternal peace that exists in Me.

O Arjuna, union of individual and cosmic Selves (yoga) does not occur for those who eat too much or too little, nor for those who sleep too much or too little.