Man tears up his own roots

The Gurbani says the one who associates with Saakat (separated from the Divine) instead of true ones (Daas, Jan, Bhagat, Gurmukh, saintly souls…), end up doing evil deede :

• ਸਾਕਤ ਸੰਗਿ ਵਿਕਰਮ ਕਮਾਏ ॥ ਦੁਲਭ ਦੇਹ ਖੋਈ ਅਗਿਆਨੀ ਜੜ ਅਪੁਣੀ ਆਪਿ ਉਪਾੜੀ ਜੀਉ ॥੩॥: (Who) does evil deeds in the company of the Saakat (i.e., those separated from the Divine). (That) ignorant wastes this rare body; (and in this ignorance, he), tears up his own roots (sggs 105).

The gurbani tells us that our Saakat or Manmukh mind (Mayaic, Haumai or ego-mind…) knowingly commits evil deeds or demerits and harms himself in the process (ਆਪਣੀਆਂ ਜੜ੍ਹਾਂ ਆਪ ਹੀ ਪੁੱਟ ਲੈਣਾਂ…). Consider the following verse:

• ਕਬੀਰ ਮਨੁ ਜਾਨੈ ਸਭ ਬਾਤ ਜਾਨਤ ਹੀ ਅਉਗਨੁ ਕਰੈ ॥ ਕਾਹੇ ਕੀ ਕੁਸਲਾਤ ਹਾਥਿ ਦੀਪੁ ਕੂਏ ਪਰੈ ॥੨੧੬॥: O Kabir! The mind knows everything and knowingly it commits demerits. What use is it to have a Lamp (i.e., the Light of Aatam Giaan, Divine Knowledge, Spiritual Wisdom…) in his hand, if the man still falls into a well (ignorance, Maya, Bikaar, ਅਉਗਨ / ਬਿਕਾਰਾਂ ਦੇ ਖੂਹ ਵਿਚ…)? (sggs 1376).

In the foregoing verse, the Gurbani indicates that our mind knows everything (i.e., right and wrong, Truth and untruth, Real and Unreal, True and false, fleeting and Eternal, etc.), but, still, knowingly it commits mistakes (ਅਵਗੁਣ / ਅਉਗਨ = demerits, defect, fault, blemish, Bikaar, etc.).

In the same breadth, the Gurbani asks us that what’s the use of having a Lamp (i.e., the Light of Aatam Giaan, Divine Knowledge, Spiritual Wisdom…) in hand, if the person holding the lamp is still going to fall into a well (the well of ignorance, Maya, Bikaar, ਅਉਗਨ / ਬਿਕਾਰਾਂ ਦੇ ਖੂਹ ਵਿਚ…).

The Gur-Shabad is the Lamp (Giaan…) given to us, which shows us the right Way so that we don’t fall into a well of ignorance, Maya, Bikaar…

But our Maya driven mind does not listen to the Inner Voice (ਅੰਤਰ ਆਤਮਾ ਦੀ ਅਵਾਜ) of its Mool (Source…). In other words, the Mayaic mind overrules the Wisdom of its Mool (Source…), and as a result, ends up committing and accumulating demerits within.

In nutshell, the edict of the Gurbani is that an egoist person (Saakat, Manmukh, Ahankaaree, Mayadhaaree…) is sure to be uprooted (ਅਹੰਕਾਰੀ ਮਨੁੱਖ ਦੀ ਜੜ੍ਹ ਜਰੂਰ ਵੱਢੀ ਜਾਂਦੀ ਹੈ).

• ਅਭਿਮਾਨੀ ਕੀ ਜੜ ਸਰਪਰ ਜਾਏ ॥੭॥: The proud (arrogant… ) person is assuredly uprooted. ||7||

The Gurbani tells us that the man himself is responsible for this calamity – he cannot blame anybody else for it. We harvest exactly what we sow in the field (“Khet“) of life or body.

• ਜੋ ਮੈ ਕੀਆ ਸੋ ਮੈ ਪਾਇਆ ਦੋਸੁ ਨ ਦੀਜੈ ਅਵਰ ਜਨਾ ॥: Whatever I did, for that I have suffered; I don’t blame anyone else (sggs 433).
• ਪਾਇ ਕੁਹਾੜਾ ਮਾਰਿਆ ਗਾਫਲਿ ਅਪੁਨੈ ਹਾਥਿ ॥੧੩॥: ||13|| An imprudent (senseless, inattentive, stupid, ਲਾ-ਪਰਵਾਹ…) strikes his own foot with the axe by his own hand ((ਭਾਵ, ਆਪਣਾ ਨੁਕਸਾਨ ਆਪ ਹੀ ਕਰ ਲਿਆ). ||13|| (sggs 1365).

Thus, the Gurbani teaches us personal responsibility. It is easier to throw blame or our responsibility on somebody else or an outside agency. The Gurbani indicates that life is ours and the responsibility is also ours. For example, it is up to us if we want to engage in Understanding the Gurbani through Khoj (ਖੋਜ-search) and Shabad-Vichaar, or not.

In other words, if we chose to use this opportunity to live the lifestyle of a Saakat, Manmukh, Mayadhaaree, etc., then we are likely to remain separated or disconnected from our Mool (Source, Origin, Jot…) within. This is akin to tearing up one’s own roots! The Gurbani wants us to become the Gurmukh.

• ਮਨਮੁਖ ਮੂਲਹੁ ਭੁਲਿਆ ਵਿਚਿ ਲਬੁ ਲੋਭੁ ਅਹੰਕਾਰੁ    ॥: The Manmukh (self-willed…) forget the Mool; for they are caught in greed, avarice, and pride (i.e., Bikaar).  (sggs 316).

• ਇਹੁ ਮਨੁ ਨਿਹਚਲੁ ਹਿਰਦੈ ਵਸੀਅਲੇ ਗੁਰਮੁਖਿ ਮੂਲੁ ਪਛਾਣਿ ਰਹੈ ॥: By becoming the Gurmukh, when one Realizes his Mool (Source, Origin…), then his mind (that has become stable-ਅਡੋਲ) abides in the Heart within (sggs 945).

So, the Gurbani tells us resolve our own affairs ourselves through self-efforts (Shabad Vichaar to Understand the Divine Hukam according to the Gurbani’s Giaan, Wisdom…). Nobody else can do it for us:

• ਆਪਣ ਹਥੀ ਆਪਣਾ ਆਪੇ ਹੀ ਕਾਜੁ ਸਵਾਰੀਐ ॥੨੦॥: Aapan hathee aapanaa aape hee kaaju savaareeai ||20|| (sggs 474).