Ch 4

1.4 The Emperor Hates The Empress
*
*
*
"You, what was that?"

Karloi, who entered Keana's temporary residence inside the Imperial Palace, asked with a displeased face.

Keana's eyes widen as if she doesn't understand his language.

"Me? What did I do?"

"You raised it earlier... "

"Do you mean, my hand? Your Majesty held your hand with mine at will, and you even put your hand on my waist. You're supposed to do that in moderation."

"I'm not talking about that. I am talking about what you said back there. Why did you suddenly ask the Empress to handle the Queen's ceremony? What do you think the Empress will do?"

Keana, who was facing the mirror while pulling her hair ornament off, looked at Karloi through the mirror.

"I just want to check the reaction of Her Majesty, the Empress... What about you, Your Majesty?"

The small face that looked at Karloi showed displeasure.

"Please tell me in advance if we're going to have lunch together with Her Majesty. I've heard rumors that Your Majesty is a cruel husband, but it's more than what I've imagined."

"You were the one who showed no mercy towards the Empress. Seems like I wasn't wrong in making you the Queen."

"Oh, be careful. I'm not yet the Queen."

"...Did you know that you're being rude? If you were an ordinary person, you would have already heard something from Gorten."

At Karloi's words, Keana just laughed.

"It's already overwhelming signing a contract with the Most High Emperor. It won't hurt more if we add a thing or more there."

"Your role is to keep the Empress in check in public."

"And you've been using me too much for your private affairs. Are you trying to make the Empress jealous?"

Karloi's face distorted. It was ridiculous hearing it. Jealousy was a word that connected two people who had feelings for each other. Yvonne and him had no room for such a thing to happen.

"Don't be mistaken. That was because we have to pretend that all of this happened because of love, so that you can avoid the intervention of the nobles."

"I know."

"And don't you know what kind of person the Empress is? How will someone get jealous, when they won't even drop a blood even if they were stabbed?"

"That's what I meant."

Keana suddenly turned her back from the mirror to face Karloi.

"When I saw the Empress' reaction, it didn't seem like she didn't have feelings at all. Your Majesty, have you ever thought about the Empress' side? You could choose who your wife is, but not the Empress who had the Duke as her father. You shouldn't be so cold-hearted..."

Keana quietly shut her mouth when Karloi waved his hand dismissively.

"Don't talk nonsense. Does the Empress seem to be a person who would let that happen? It would be much easier to seduce a stone on the street since it could even have more emotions than her."

"What a pity..."

"Don't waste your emotions on useless things, considering that there is someone else out there who you should be sorry for. It must be because I've hurt her pride which is as high as the sky. How can she endure today's insults when she was treated like a princess in the Duke's family?"