Ch 56

8.7 The Emperor Wants to Know the Empress (2)
*
*
*
The next day, a letter from the Duke arrived. For some reason, the Duke did not come to the capital and was confined to the estate. There were two letters. The first letter she opened was short.

"You've missed three times already. If you miss it again, you'll have to be prepared."

It was clear what was being said even in the few words. Yvonne swallowed a stuffy breath and burned the letter. When she opened the second letter paper, dried petals fell and gave off a smell. It started with the phrase 'Dear Lou' in clumsy handwriting.

Yvonne was surprised and looked back and forth at the letter. The only words Denise knew how to use was her name, Lou's name, and the words 'I love you'.

In the first sentence, it was said that she is learning writing these days in poor writing. Unsurprisingly, the font was different from the next sentence. Denise was telling her she was having Jane write the letter.

"I'm preparing to live with you. But don't you think your mother should know everything? I learned a lot more than I thought, but the reason I asked Jane to write is because my wrist is not good yet.

If you were to be found out that you were an illegitimate child, he wouldn't let me write you a letter, saying it wouldn't be good for your marriage, but somehow the Duke allowed it. I'm glad, I'm feeling better these days, but I'm able to tell you this news.

Now that the Duke had let me do this, I really think the day you said will come. Recently, I started walking in the garden again."

Yvonne's hand holding the letter began to tremble. The letter of permission out of the blue was tantamount to the Duke's warning for her to remember Denise. As hopeful as Denise's letter is, it has tightened Yvonne's breath just as much. The letter crumpled helplessly from the trembling hand.

The hopeful ending of waiting for Lou to live with must have seemed arrogant to the Duke. Her whole body trembled with fear. Now she really couldn't believe the Duke.

He wouldn't threaten her like this just because of a medicine that is good for pregnancy. As Yvonne expected, the medicine was a poison, created by Bernie's Wizard. Considering that the Duke drank it casually at least once, a certain amount might have to be piled up.

Has the Duke, who had a preference for rapid poisoning, given up speed and gained poison that could surely kill Croytans?

"Ha..."

Tears came out of fear. The Duke didn't trust Yvonne at all. So he's hiding the poison from Yvonne. He was a man who didn't hide anything like that. Yvonne was so stupid she couldn't stand it. She felt like she wanted to strangle herself.

It was obvious to think about it a little bit. The Duke was the one who wanted supreme power in the system. A man who wants to bring power under a country called Croysen on a non-Croytan object. Even if a man who has no intention of establishing a new country gets where he wants to be, an illegitimate child will still be his flaw.

The Duke had no reason to keep Denise and Yvonne alive, but there were several reasons to kill them. After he carried out his orders, the number of people who were killed are countless...

Yvonne, who was having a hard time breathing, struck her chest hard. What confidence did she think that she could walk the rope between Karloi and the Duke?

She can't tell Karloi anything true to turn her back on the Duke, but she's afraid of a consequence to believe in him. She can't do anything just because she's told to kill Karloi. How can she be confident? Stupid b*tch, What's the difference from when she  drinks poison? What should she do?