Ch 53

8.4 The Emperor Wants to Know the Empress (2)
*
*
*
"Why don't you actively help the Duke?"

"...How many more questions do you have to ask to fill your stomach? My father doesn't make me do that."

Karloi snorted. Is he not letting his daughter do harsh things?

"Even so, don't you know that keeping your mouth shut about me would hurt the Duke?"

Karloi tried to talk as smoothly as he could.

"Yvonne."

Yvonne's closed eyes trembled when her name was called at the end of his words. Yvonne, who opened her eyes slowly, rose from the bed. The sudden rise of Yvonne caused Karloi to stumble over. Yvonne was looking straight at Karloi with long hair in disarray.

"Your Majesty."

Yvonne's face looked as if she had reached the limit.

On second sight, she was just expressionless as usual, but Karloi thought he was mistaken.

"If you wanted to test me, or if you were going to use me, I don't think you should do it that way."

Karloi's expression shook at the blunt remark. He's relieved. It was true that he wanted to use her, but he was too far-fetched for Yvonne to think so.

Karloi wanted to win Yvonne's heart completely. That way everything will be clear and he'll be able to use it better.

"...I'm trying to get your help, but I'm not just trying to use you."

As Yvonne blinked, her long eyelashes fluttered.

"If I hated you the way I used to, I wouldn't have thought of using you."

"Even if you say that, I won't be in this fight."

"The fight is bound to end. If I win, your father dies, and if the Duke wins, I'll die, how does that have nothing to do with you?"

"...That's because I can't fully support my father's actions, apart from his affection as a family..."

"I would die or the Duke dies..."

While Yvonne hesitated to speak, Karloi came close. Yvonne stifled and avoided his eyes.

"I wonder which of the two would you care more about. Common sense would want the former."

Karloi trimmed Yvonne's slightly disorganized negligee. His slow touch was strangely irritating even though it did not touch her skin at all.

"But that's not what you want."

She couldn't bring herself to look at his hand, so she looked up and now his eyes were looking down at Yvonne.

"...You said you could give me what I want. Don't you think what I want is Your Majesty?"

Karloi touched Yvonne's hair without answering. Yvonne tried her best not to laugh to herself.

It wasn't Karloi's heart that Yvonne wanted. Because that's what she wanted when she was young. But it was a shame that the parties knew exactly how she felt about Karloi. Maybe it's because she's being stupid or maybe Karloi is quick to read the room.

"Then are you going to give me Your Majesty's heart?"

"There's nothing I can't give you."

"I can't believe Your Majesty."

Yvonne put her hand on Karloi's. She could feel Karloi's whole body stiffened through her hands. What could he give her by acting like this?

"Be honest for once. Then I'll think about it."