Ch 21

4.2 The Emperor Does Not Know the Empress
*
*
*
The very next day after Yvonne woke up, the Duke visited the Empress' Palace. The Duke was patient enough to not visit the very same day she regained consciousness.

"What the hell happened?!"

A person just drank poison and almost died, but there was no question as to whether she was okay, even with empty words. No one with such cold blood could do it. On the other hand, she felt that the Duke was really great being one.

Anticipating all this, Yvonne casually faced the Duke's grim face.

Whenever the Duke came and talked about nonsense, Yvonne always thought, 'If I could just kick that son of a b*tch before I die, I wouldn't have another wish.'

Of course, if she could kill him, she would have no regrets, but now she doesn't even want such a big thing to happen. She just wanted to inflict him great pain.

Glad the Duke couldn't read her thoughts, Yvonne slowly opened her mouth.

"I have no idea. Didn't the Duke make a mistake?"

"Do you really think I could? That's nonsense."

The Duke, who had been shouting nervously, suddenly flashed his eyes and looked at Yvonne. It was scary because it looked dreary to look at it as if he was trying to find fault, but Yvonne didn't avoid his gaze.

The Duke asked in a low voice.

"Are you sure you didn't think anything nonsense?"

"What kind of nonsense?"

"How do I know what you're up to with him?"

She was sure the physician told him all about it.

The Duke's eyes were sharp as if he were looking through Yvonne's thoughts. Yvonne answered back without blinking an eye.

"You know that can't be the case unless I'm crazy. As long as I have a mother, I will never ever do that."

Seeing Yvonne's determined face, the Duke nodded convincingly.

"Then how the hell did you manage to live?"

"Didn't Marlon tell you? The Emperor made me drink the antidote he always carried so I managed to escape death. Otherwise I could be dead by now."

"Well, no one is oblivious of the fact that the Emperor always carries an antidote which was made for all kinds. But why did he do that when he said he hates you?"

"I don't know. It might have been because he was embarrassed."

"Heh. That's why I didn't want to use poison on him anymore. If the day comes to kill him, I'll have to find something other than poison. It was annoying because he has antidotes and everything else."

At the Duke's indifferent words, Yvonne got goosebumps all over her body. How could he draw such a conclusion? No matter how much time passed, it seemed that she could never catch up with the Duke's way of thinking.

"I don't know what the hell happened. But I have an idea."

As Yvonne slowly opened her mouth, the Duke's snake-like eyes lit up.

"I think it's probably the work of the Marquis of Roden. Who else would want to kill me?"

"That's ridiculous. The idiot doesn't have the guts to do this. Besides, I can't let such a trifle get in the way of what I've planned. He's got no guts, nor brains."

"But, Duke, he succeeded in making his daughter the Queen. Who would have imagined? The Queen was reborn in Croysen, and the Queen will be the love of the Rodens."