Ch 43

6.6 The Empress and the Emperor
*
*
*
Asher and Yvonne did not exchange a single word throughout the journey to the dark forest. Yvonne was engrossed in her thoughts and looked out of her window, and Asher was observing Yvonne.

There were not one or two suspicious things about the Empress. Asher was contemplating how to summarize and report to Karloi. Why is the Duke's daughter doing this? She wouldn't have to do this. And what about the strange atmosphere of the Duke's mansion?

Asher has nowhere else to step back, and Yvonne is doing what she wants, but the situation is definitely strange.

"You can't go in there unless you've received Delua's blood. I'm sure you already know that."

"Yes."

"You can cross the boundary only when you touch me."

For some reason, when he found out about the situation, he had a hunch that Karloi would not let him go, so he rubbed his arm for no reason.

The carriage stopped near the dark forest because it couldn't go any further. As she got off the carriage and walked down the familiar road, Yvonne clasped her hand in tension. She hasn't been here since she left.

Yvonne beckoned to Asher as she saw the witch's tree, the entrance to the Dark Forest. Asher understood perfectly and put one finger on Yvonne's finger. It was embarrassing to call it contact.

"Look around as you please."

Yvonne didn't seem to have any intention of following and monitoring Asher. Asher stepped inside, concealing his more suspicious mind.

The ground was all black. There was not a single living life on the black ground. In the forest where the trees would have been thick, only a few stumps, which had been burned and shortened, remained. There were hills and mountains that were not low, but it was difficult to find green.

"They burned a lot of bodies. They put the bodies in one place and set them on fire."

Yvonne spoke as Asher looked at the black and ashes piled up. Asher realized that Yvonne was right. No traces of life were left here.

Yvonne stood far away and looked at where she used to live.

The former Duchess was impatient when she learned that the illegitimate child and her mother lived in the Dark Forest. She was even an illegitimate child after her marriage to the Duke himself.

What made the Duchess even more upset was the fact that she didn't get rid of them right away, even after the Duke found out about it first. Does she dare to worry? She was the Duchess, she was the daughter of a noble family, and she thought it was an indescribable shame that this happened.

The Duchess left the Duke's residence with her daughter Yvonne, leaving a letter at dawn to avoid the public. It is more unfortunate for the Duchess to decide on her own that she wanted to see the illegitimate child and its mother before going to her home.

But what is clear is that it was a terrible thing for the Duchess and for her daughter, Denise and Lilian, and the Duke of Delua.

"Why did they do this if there was nothing here?"

"Well, why don't you ask my father?"

She answered with no sincerity, but Yvonne knew roughly why.

It was a land of heavy rain. Shortly after entering the dark forest, the carriage where the Duchess and her daughter were riding was crushed by rocks that rolled down the landslide.

It was because a coachman who did not know the dark forest chose a path that did not go well, but most of all, he was not lucky. The Duchess and her daughter were crushed to death by huge stones.