Ch 20

4.1 The Emperor Does Not Know the Empress
*
*
*
"...I was worried."

Yvonne's heart beat harder at the unbelievable words she had heard with both of her ears.

Maybe she hasn't woken up from her dream yet. This might also be another dream.

However, Karloi's hands, which he felt through her skin, were too hot. Was there such a hot feeling in the dream world?

Her heart jumped anxiously. Yvonne Delua was no longer Liliian Lou. Everything about Lilian Lou died when the real Yvonne did. Lilian Lou could never endure this feeling that she had.

If that happened again this time, Yvonne Delua couldn't stand and would really die.

Her heart continued to pound with an emotion that she didn't know if it was because she was scared, or excited.

A tense silence filled the gap between the Emperor and the Empress.

Yvonne, who was looking at Karloi as if she was hallucinating, pulled out her hand after a while. Yvonne couldn't afford to be attached to the dreamlike ephemeral.

As her little hand slipped away relentlessly, Karloi suffered another strange emptiness.

"A busy person wasted his time for me. I'm sorry..."

It was a word of cold air flowing out. If her words had a form, it might have been a pointed icicle.

The cold expression of a woman who survived her death made Karloi doubt his judgment.

Maybe it was a big illusion that Yvonne thought that he is likeable? Karloi wondered if he was trying to do something useless.

"It's not nonsense for a husband to worry about his wife. You woke up safely, so that's it."

Yvonne's face was crumpled at once by Karloi's words.

Karloi could not tell which of his words had offended Yvonne. Did he say anything offensive? He had never been friendly with her, so he wasn't sure.

"Your Majesty must have personally witnessed something bad, so it seems that you are not feeling well."

Now, Yvonne was treating him like a madman again.

"No..."

"I'm fine, so why don't you take a rest?"

It was even a congratulatory decree. Karloi, who was about to add something, closed his mouth when he saw the pale face of Yvonne.

It was Yvonne, not himself, who needed to rest. And he needed time to reconsider his hasty judgment, not to rest.

"...Then I'll go, and you should take a rest, Empress. The physician, whom the empress had brought from the Duke's residence, took care of you. Are you sure you don't need the imperial physician?"

"Yes. He is the physician who knows my condition best."

But technically, he was also a servant of the Duke.

At Yvonne's resolute demeanor, Karloi left her bedroom without saying anything more. It wasn't until he left that Yvonne let out a long, long breath.

(What's wrong with him all of a sudden?)

Yvonne seriously wondered if Karloi had poisoned himself.

Shouldn't he be weeping for his regret that she didn't die by now? Or maybe he was shocked to see her vomiting blood. Kal's been acting like that since he was a kid whenever he saw blood.