Ch 31

5.4 The Empress Wants to Know the Emperor
*
*
*
"...It's helpful."

In the end, her barely opened mouth came up with a slightly different word from what she was supposed to say. She was fortunate to be able to do this.

"Helps you on what?"

"It helps me forget my thoughts."

"Then why are you looking at flowers like that to forget what you were thinking?"

"I do not know. Do you want me to think about why Your Majesty suddenly acts like this all of a sudden when you openly hate me?"

It was half an impulsive answer. It was because she was a little annoyed by Karloi, who kept asking her without interest.

Perhaps not knowing that Yvonne would answer in this way, Karloi looked at Yvonne with a stabbed expression. At that time, it's the same as my face when she was younger.

Yvonne frowned without knowing it.

"...You said you didn't like me."

Even the dog that passed by would not believe it. As if he had read Yvonne's thoughts, who did not answer, Karloi swept his mouth several times with his hand.

"Yes, to be honest, I can't like the Empress. It may be unfair, but it's not my will."

"I know."

"You're a Delua. A Delua..."

"You don't have to tell me. I really know it well."

Yvonne said the same on her wedding day. At that time, a memory suddenly came to mind. It was Yvonne, when she replied that she knew her feelings for Delua very well.

Again, it's the same expression back then, but it somehow looks different.

"...I know it's not the Empress' fault. That's why I just thought that if I could just be more willing, I could stop hating you afterwards."

Karloi spoke slowly, desperately hoping that even this would be acceptable.

Is it possible to distinguish between Yvonne and self-indoctrination, which makes you confused whether you were telling the truth or you were lying?

Yvonne replied with a face that it didn't matter whatsoever.

"...I understand what you mean, so you don't have to go this far."

"Now it looks like you hate me, not the other way around."

Yvonne suddenly changed her face when he threw a half-joking word to her, showing a sense of embarrassment. That gave him the pleasure of a strange feeling that was difficult to describe in words.

"It's not like that..."

"I'm glad that you don't hate me then."

Karloi even smiled after speaking. It was so faint that it was difficult to call it a smile. While Yvonne was arrogant to grasp Karloi's intentions, Karloi turned the subject alone.

"To me, the Duke is just a demonic human... Was the Duke a good father to you?"

Yvonne, who had been defenseless, muttered at a glance when she heard all sorts of strange things from Karloi.

"He was similar to the other fathers out there."

"I see..."

Yvonne couldn't figure out what kind of confidence was there in Karloi's answer.

Compared to the Duke who thinks of his daughter terribly, the answer from the daughter is quite simple. Perhaps the bond wasn't as great as it took place in Karloi's head. In fact, wasn't he clueless of what a father's affection was at all? He had never felt such a great bond.