Ch 134

20.3 Kal And Lou (2)
*
*
*

The next evening, it rained. A short and heavy shower to match Mach. It was a rain that she hadn't seen in a while. Otherwise, the humid Mach air felt more sticky.

Lilian dressed in thin clothes and went out to the garden. It felt like water was seeping through her every step, but the feeling was not bad. Drops of water shone transparently on the water-soaked flowers.

Strangely, the Mach Palace's garden looked similar to Purtu. Lasortio wasn't like this. That must be why, her memories back in Purtu were revived so easily. But it wasn't as bad as it used to be. It's just bitter.

The dancing Turang flowers were swaying and moving because they drank water. It looked cute for some reason, so Lilian sat in front of it with her knees bent and looked at the flowers for a while. One of them was almost buried in the ground because it had been washed away by the rain. With a pitiful heart, Lilian unknowingly picked it up.

Holding a Turang on her hand and straightening her back, she saw a building that looked like a small chapel a little further away. In front were busts made of water and a fountain around them. It looked unfamiliar because it was different from Purtu.

As she got closer, she saw a person sitting there. It was Karloi. Sitting expressionless, he looked like a man who would disappear when she closed her eyes. Asher's words about how Karloi was as good as surviving with medicine, came to mind. She doesn't know if his spirit is still there.

Lilian walked towards Karloi without realizing it, feeling her heart preoccupied, not to match the humid weather.

Karloi's face, which found Lilian, gradually made an expression. As if it was dyed with color. If it were really a color, it would probably be a dark, sad color, but that expression crossed his face.

He tried to get up from his seat as if to move aside. Lilian shook her head.

"Just stay. Is it okay to come out like this? What about your back?"

"It's not a serious wound, so it's okay."

Just when he was talking to Millenin, it seemed like it was a terrible wound, but she didn't know what to believe. Lilian hesitated and sat next to Karloi.

"What were you thinking? You sat here like that."

Lilian's voice was calm enough to permeate the air.

"It didn't mean much."

"Really? I thought of Purtu... It's like a garden in Purtu."

Karloi was silent for a moment. Lilian could see that Karloi was also sitting here brooding over the past.

After a while, Karloi opened his mouth. It was a subdued voice.

"It's modeled after a garden in Purtu. It's probably the only place worth seeing in this Palace."

"It's not just the Palace, it's the entire Mach..."

The corners of Karloi's mouth went up very slightly at Lilian's answer.

"The Archduke talked about the Mahit Observatory, but I don't think it's going to be good there either."

"No, the Archduke is right. It's not a bad place."

It seemed to be a pretty good place for Karloi to admit. Lilian muttered to herself, thinking she should see it before leaving.

"Sorta wasn't like this."

"...You liked Sorta."

Lilian nodded still.

"It was really, really good. You didn't like it there?"