Ch 68

11.1 The Emperor Can't Dislike the Empress (1)
*
*
*
Yvonne awoke just before dawn. When she opened her eyes because her body felt heavy somewhere, she could only see the bare chest of a man. The feeling of the thick arms clasping her body was unfamiliar.

As she struggled to calm her heat-burning face, she lifted her head up to reveal Karloi's face with his eyes closed. When he opened his closed eyes, she was afraid that the light of regret would pass through them.

It was the first night that she doesn't feel cold, so she hopes Karloi feels that way too... It felt like greed. Even the smallest greed, even such a greed that no one would notice, it always brought greater misfortune as if it were a punishment for Yvonne.

He's in pain, he's in trouble. Probably because of the Queen's affair. Yvonne guessed.

Touching her face only with his eyes, Yvonne couldn't stand the fear and eventually closed her eyes again. Somewhere between her conscious and unconscious mind, she must have been wrapped around him.

After moving his body, Karloi, who had been lying still for a while, quickly got out of bed. Before she could react, she felt a hand covering the blanket.

It wasn't until she heard Karloi leave the bedroom that Yvonne could open her eyes. Her bed, where she always lay alone, feels empty. She must have been closer with him than she was before, though, and she comforted her heart by herself. So another day began.

That afternoon, the Duke's letter to Yvonne had arrived. It was a letter she's been waiting for a long time. The contents of the letter, which she opened with her trembling hands, shattered the expectations she held to herself.

The content was very simple: Yvonne should not come down to the estate, and the Duke will soon come up to the capital.

"Mary Ann, did you get any reply from Jane?"

Mary Ann shook her head with an anxious face too.

She couldn't understand why he wouldn't allow it, as he must have profited from the scandal of the Queen and the Marquis of Roden that left them immobilized. She doesn't have time to procrastinate any further.

"Oh, Lady Anssen has a brief visit to Anssen's. So I told her to do so."

"Okay."

She thought it was all right, and Yvonne brought the letter close to the fire. One less watchful eye would put her at ease.

Yvonne, who was burning the Duke's letter whose handwriting was getting blurry, suddenly felt pain, and dropped the entire letter paper. While the fire was burning loudly once, Mary Ann came up in surprise after hearing a groan that had gone out from her.

"Your Majesty! Where does it hurt?!"

"No, no."

She clearly felt a sharp pain between her chest and her chin. It wasn't severe, but her head was dizzy from the pain she couldn't ignore. It didn't show up often, but the intensity was getting worse each time.

"Bring me a glass of water."

As cold water flowed through her throat, her dizzy head calmed down. It can't be a healthy medicine.

How dazed she must have been sitting, breathing hard. It was noisy outside as she blinked her eyes and pulled herself together. It was Asher.

Whether it was his urgent nature or nothing she could see, he had come into Yvonne's office at will before the attendants could even tell her. He ignored Mary Ann and Yvonne, who were baffled, and Asher spoke with her distinctive accent.