Side Story Ch 5

After some time, Sir Morton arrived. The couple, who had heard the news in advance, knew exactly what they had to do today, so Keana greeted him warmly.

Even with the theme of Croysen's gross prejudice against illegitimate children, the three have made promises to see each other separately in a blink of an eye, whether they feel united and elated as if they have achieved continental unification.

The Count of Hage appeared when the atmosphere was much amicable. He looked uncomfortable when he appeared, but when he saw the couple already seated, he turned into a sass.

Only a person like the Marquis of Roden can cut down on an illegitimate child without hesitation in front of them. It would not be easy for a person like the Count of Hage, who repeatedly insisted that he had no personal feelings.

"Your Majesty, I am the Count of Hage, Alan Rutherson. It's an honor to be invited here."

He greeted her with the utmost respect, not as one who insisted that the Empress should be removed from the festival ceremony.

"Count of Hage. I called for you because I wanted to talk to you, but thank you for accepting my invitation."

"You don't have to thank me, Your Majesty."

"I've been told that you've personally admired Sir Morton for a long time, so I've arranged a place like this. Is it alright?"

"Oh, yes, yes."

"The Milonas were invited here a bit unexpectedly, and I hope you will understand. These are the people who know Mach's situation well, so it's good for your business, it won't hurt you."

"Yes, Your Majesty, I am grateful that you have arranged this for me."

After sitting down and taking a breath, the Count of Hage regained his color and began to greet them. He's not a bad person to know. Also, the conversation didn't go as badly as she thought.

"But I don't know where my home is. We were treated much better in Mach, but she always wants to come back to Croysen."

"I didn't either. I thought that I would never again set foot in the city of Purtu in Croysen, where the Duke of Delua lived, but now, I'm back."

But when the Count of Hage finally loosened his face and was able to put on even a weak smile, Lilian was the first to bring up the story of the Duke of Delua.

"How can we compare our story to what Her Majesty has gone through?"

The atmosphere changed in an instant. While the Duke's vicious past came out one by one, the Count of Hage began to feel uncomfortable in his chair.

"Yes, sometimes I thought I shouldn't have been born. Some say I'm the daughter of Delua, so it's a problem, while others say I'm not an illegitimate daughter and it's also a problem..."

Sir Morton and Clyde Milona scramble to express sympathy for the Empress, but the Count of Hage only shut his mouth like a clam.

"Count of Hage. Were you on good terms with your parents? Well, of course you were."

The Empress stopped asking and gave a bitter smile. Four pairs of eyes simultaneously looked at Count Hage, who was just frustrated. What on earth can he say in a conversation like this?

"I'm just an ordinary person, yes. I grew up normally."

"People like us envy that mediocrity the most."

When Clyde answered seriously, the Count of Hage was speechless again.

"Yes, Count of Hage. Come to think of it, I heard you're worried about my background. You think it's dangerous for people like me to be in front of many people..."