Ch 63

10.1 The Empress Does Not Know the Emperor (2)
*
*
*
Asher said that if the Empress decides to forsake her father and join the Emperor's side, it is proof that she is not the Duke's daughter.

(Is it such a big deal to abandon your father?)

Karloi thought to himself.

He knows in his head that it's difficult, but when he thinks about the case of him and his parents, frankly, it didn't seem like it was going to be this special. And then he realized that he's a person who's not good enough to think like this.

After Karloi didn't even pretend to hear it, Asher now came right next to Karloi's ear and began talking.

"Asher, bring me the evidence."

"Your Majesty has been chasing the Duke's back for ten years and found nothing. How can I find it in a month?"

It was a remarkably insensitive and reasonable point. Karloi, who had nothing to say, closed his mouth and arranged his desk for nothing. He was supposed to meet Yvonne in the Entoura Room after a while, so he had to get out.

Asher, who was turning his eyes around following Karloi's hand, frowned at a bottle of liquor on his desk in his office. Karloi wasn't a drinker, and much less of a person to have it in his office.

"What are you drinking for?"

"It's not a big deal."

Asher seemed to be worried about the words, but just nodded and changed the subject back to normal.

"The atmosphere of the butler at the Duke's residence was just that. It was not an attitude towards the precious lady at all."

"So, where did his real daughter go?"

"How do I know that? I'm telling you. She's not his favorite daughter, so he made her marry you."

"Even if it's right, there's no way to confirm it. How are you going to figure it out?"

"Why do you need evidence? I heard you're getting close with the Empress. Go ask her! Is her mother the Duchess? Now she has no reason to lie, so she will tell the truth."

At Asher's insistence, Karloi eventually raised the white flag. Asher had a stubbornness to push through once he thought about it. Never bent over. In fact, it might have been more so because his richly brutal 'intuition' has never been wrong.

But that sense is only used to distinguish enemies from allies and smells of blood, not to help distinguish who is illegitimate.

"All right, I'll go ask and I'll make sure to let you know."

"Okay. If I'm wrong, I'll grant one of Gorten's inspirational wishes."

He seems really confident. Gorten's wish is for Asher to be extinguished. Karloi left the office, sticking his tongue out at the stick.

Heading to Entoura Room, he pondered what to do if Asher was right. In fact, there was no need to worry. Concealing the identity of an illegitimate child in Croysen is a felony, and if they push an illegitimate child into the position of the imperial hostess, he would go to prison without reconsideration. He couldn't send him to the guillotine, but it was an opportunity to shake the board properly.

So what Karloi was actually worried about was whether to use the opportunity or not. It's an opportunity to blow Yvonne together, use it or not.

"Did you know that if you eat a lot of these petals, you get a little weird? When Jane was young, she didn't know what it was and continued to eat it because she thought it was delicious, and then..."