Ch 58

9.1 The Empress Does Not Know the Emperor (1)
*
*
*
Karloi picked up Yvonne, who had collapsed, and brought her to the Empress' bedroom. The bedroom was swept clean again, as they had cleared the mess.

A heavy decree was issued to the people of the Empress' Palace, and Yvonne's dedicated physician, Marlon, resigned after the treatment with his bewildered face.

Next to Yvonne, who was asleep with a troubled face, Karloi smoothed her bloody lips. It is already the second time that he had seen the fallen Empress. It was not until some irrational rage had passed that he was able to recount what had happened outside.

Of course it's not easy because she has to put her biological father to death. Thinking of Yvonne, who seemed to be on the verge of madness, Karloi swept down his face a few times.

It wasn't that kind of weird thing. If she suffered that much, shouldn't she just reject Karloi's offer at once? It was a miracle in itself that Yvonne agonized this much.

Objectively acknowledging the immorality and numerous mistakes of the Duke of Delua, and her subjective affection for blood would have been completely different. Did she love him that much? Why the hell?

His sigh came out of its own accord as his head got complicated. Then he was really doing it. He knew in his head that he was such a fucking bastard, but when he saw the results, he felt refreshed.

Yvonne was not the only one who was strange. Karloi thought himself strange enough. When did he start reacting to Yvonne's every move so much? He seemed to have to admit a little bit that the Empress cares about him, whether it's guilt, reparation, or whatever the reason.

It's hard to understand things that bother people. That's how Karloi organized his mind and thoughts.

"Ugh."

It's been a while since Yvonne groaned and moved. Yvonne's face turned pale after blinking slowly a few times. It was amazing that people could turn whiter in that state.

"Stay down."

Karloi stopped her from rushing to her feet, but Yvonne crawled up her upper body. Their eyes met, but neither of them said anything. He thinks she drank quite a lot, but he wondered if Yvonne would remember.

"...I'm sorry to make a fuss."

It seems she remembers.

"I know I asked for difficult work. However..."

Karloi tried to find something to say. But he had nothing to say.

She doesn't have to torment herself? Why don't you just bring your father's neck instead of suffering?

He knew anything was inappropriate. So, putting aside all the useless answers, Karloi asked instead.

"Have you seen me before?"

"Why?"

Yvonne's face was still numb but unnaturally quick to ask back.

"I don't know why you're doing this to me, why you consider me one of your options."

He wondered if he had ever met Yvonne in the past that he didn't know.

Yvonne kept her mouth shut for a long time and looked at Karloi and bowed her head.

"...No."

He heard a short answer. That was the answer he expected. If they had met at least once in the past, he couldn't have known. There's silence again.

Yvonne, who was fiddling with the blankets, looked pale and tired like a stone worn out by the rain.

"Your Majesty."