Epic 122

Sometimes I liked to stray off the beaten path, disappear from everything and visit one of the few places that offered a sense of peace for me, and for me, that was in Pickerington..... a little suburb on the outskirts of Columbus. It's a pretty quiet place for the most part and while it definitely has its flaws, it was a nice place to raise kids and if your child was good at football, more likely than not they went to Pickerington Central. When I pulled up to the house, I noticed one car in the driveway, her car was there and he didn't have a car so I was kinda apprehensive about approaching but I was already here and it had been a while since I came to visit him in person, though we kept in contact over the phone and I had popped up at a few of his games. I walked up to the house casually, knowing that there was probably some lonely housewife watching from her window wondering 'What is this big black man doing out here?' I pressed the Ring doorbell and looked directly at the camera knowing she was probably watching and rolling her eyes at the sight of me, she could act like she didn't like me but she never once turned down the money I gave her or when she needed someone to check her son, I was usually the first person she called. Growing impatient I pressed the doorbell again and heard movement from the other side, then the door opened and I had to take a step back because the last time I saw him, I definitely didn't have to look up at him.

"Oh shyt, wassup Epic....." Titan said holding out his hand to dap me up but I was more focused on the dude walking down the stairs. "That's my bro.... my girl been trippin and I needed someone to talk to.... she's been bugging the fuck out of me wanting to know what college I picked but I wanna keep that a secret until graduation." Titan said letting me inside.

"I'll catch you later T'.... sup." The dude said nodding to me and walking out, leaving me and Titan alone.

"So you've decided? I would've thought it was obvious that you'd pick Ohio State, you've always talked about it since you were an annoying little kid.... though there was a point where you wanted to pursue 'other' ventures." I said sitting on the couch.

"Yeah, and you beat my ass when you found out...." Titan said laughing. "But I've been thinking and most people expected me to pick based on athletics but I wanted to take the academic scholarship instead, it offered me a full ride and the athletic one had way more..... stipulations.... you taught me the value of education and I took that to heart.... smarts over sports." Titan said.

"So if I were to ask you right now what school you picked, you wouldn't tell me?" I asked as he handed me a bottle of water.

"Nope.... like I said, I want to play this one close to the vest.... but I will tell you this much, my decision will take me far away from Ohio. I wanted to see what life was like on my own and given everything that's going on, I think it's best if I got my black ass far away from the state." He said looking at me. "So is that shyt with you and Renee true?"

"I don't know what you're talking about...... my focus right now is expanding my business." I said suppressing a smirk, he was a smart kid.... too smart actually. "But I was only stopping by to see if you and your mom needed anything."

"Well you've already taken care of prom for me..... but uhh.... I do wanna have a graduation party, like a big ass party." Titan said and I pretended to think about it knowing damn well I'd probably end up spending more on his party than my own.

"I'll see what I can do..... but you just make sure you keep your head in them books Titan. After all the bad I've done, I want at least one success story I can look back on with pride when it's al said and done." I said looking at him. "You tell your boy what college you're going to?" I asked causally though I wanted to confirm something because I definitely recognized the signs.

"Alright man, it's time to go...." Titan said jumping up and walking over to the door.

"You know... if I really wanted to find out I could." I said as Titan pushed me towards the door playfully.