Jerú 28

I sat outside in Legend's Challenger watching him through the window, he was walking around barking orders with his suit jacket off, across the window was a big ass sign that read WHITESIDE FOR CONGRESS. I found it comical that this dude ran on 'family values' and 'law and order' yet he refused to claim his son who was the spitting image of him, he also ran on giving back to the community and building a better future for the youth.... give me a fuckin break. I can't tell you the last time this nigga gave back to the community, there were plenty of local events that Legend dragged me to that this nigga wasn't there for before we started running for Congress but once he made the announcement I seen him everywhere. Would it be petty of me to ruin his entire campaign? I could legit go to his opponent and tell her all this man's dirty little secrets and trust me he had a lot of them, but I didn't fuck with that bitch either.... I'll keep it a buck, the thing I wanted more than anything was this nigga's approval, a nigga I've only talked to twice, and who didn't give a damn about me.... and yet he was the person I wanted more than anyone to accept me. How fuckin pathetic was that... before I could stop myself I was walking towards the building his back was turned away from me and I spotted a brick not too far from the door, but I ignored it and walked inside the building and everyone there got quiet as they looked at me.

"HI!!!! Are you looking to get involved in the campaign?" This enthusiastic white chick said walking over to me, I looked around the room and notice two black women, they looked at me, then at my dad, then at each other and gave each other 'that' look.

"MaryAnne, I'll be in my office.. please get in contact with my donors and see about that fundraiser.... excuse me." He said leading me into his office and quickly slamming the door. "What are you doing here Rú?" He asked in a panicked voice.

"Well Jerry.... I figured I'd stop by see if there was anything you needed help with, hanging up posters, knocking on doors, fuckin potential donors... but only if they're cute. Y'know doing some real father/son bonding." I said walking to the other side of his desk and sitting down. "I could even do a couple of interviews, tell them how you went from being a drug dealer to an Ivy League graduate, to running for Congress.... that's quite a tale." I said holding his gaze.

"Rú.... what do you want from me? Is it money, send me your Cashapp and I'll give you some money but you cannot say a word about any of that....." He said quietly and I noticed someone standing outside his door and I heard from Legend that politics was more cutthroat that the streets so I didn't trust anyone here.

"How bout some attention, how about some affection, how about you man the fuck up and take care of your responsibilities... mainly your ONLY child." I said in a harsh whisper.

"I can't be something I'm not Rú, I don't know how to be that... I didn't have a father growing up and look how I turned out. Me not being there is probably the best thing I could've done for you.... I mean you seem like you're doing good without me so why do you keep trying to push the issue? We're never going to have that kind of relationship.... it's too late for us now." He said quietly.

"It's never too late to apologize for past mistakes.... it's never too late to man the fuck up, but you know what, I shouldn't be the one who's putting in the effort, I'm not the one who did anything wrong and I'm definitely not the one who asked to be here....." I said and after a long silence, I realized I was wasting my time. "I got 12k followers on IG and 26.8k on Twitter.... I wonder what they would think if I posted a picture of my dad, letting them know he's running for Congress, I'm sure that'll cause a little noise in the streets." I said walking towards the door and just as I was about to open it he put a hand on my shoulder.

"Jerú...." He said in a deadly voice and I saw shades of the old him in his eyes, the him that I heard people whispering about in my neighborhood, the him that my mom used to tell me about, the him that was notorious throughout Columbus and Cincinnati.