Chapter 1 - The Monster

"Nyx! Nyx! Nyx!"

I groaned and tried to just ignore it. Maybe if I just pretended to be asleep Mom would just ignore me.

BANG! BANG! BANG!

I flung myself out of bed and dropped onto the floor as something hammered against my window. My heart pounded against my chest, and I started having flashbacks to every Steven king movie I'd ever seen. Once I calmed down, I worked up enough courage to take a peek at the window. And suddenly my fear was replaced with agitation.

"Nyx! Nyx! Hi!" Casey cheered from beyond the windows veil.

I grabbed my facemask from my desk and put it on, then crawled back on my bed and opened up my window. Her smile was as bright as the morning sun, and it creeped me out. You can't trust people who wake up this early and wear a smile like that.

"What are you doing?" I grumbled.

"Waking you up silly! You overslept again!" Casey replied.

"Yeah, it's called skipping school."

"Why would you do that! Your attendance would go down! You might even get detention!"

"I'll just not go."

"But you'll get suspended!"

"Oh no, I'll be forced to sit at home all day, away from human interaction. So tragic."

I grabbed the window and started to shut it, but Casey quickly caught it. We glared at each other, and I tried to force it shut. But she wasn't budging!

Damn she's strong!

"Just. Let. Me. Fail!" I grunted.

"Never! I'll be bored if you don't go!"

"Well, that's a risk I'm willing to take!"

"Umm, is this some secret love affair I should be worried about?" I heard my mother's voice slither in.

I let go of the window and fell back onto my bed.

"It's not like that!" We both squealed.

But my mother just laughed.

"Yeah, opening a window for a girl in your boxers definitely doesn't seem sketchy." She snorted.

The heat rose to my cheeks and I quickly threw a cover over my lap.

"You've gotta be kidding me.."

"I know it's your birthday and all, but we haven't even had the talk yet." She teased and walked over to me. "Maybe that can be your present!"

"Blah! Blah! Blah! I can't hear you anymore!" I cried and cupped my hands over my ears. "I'm not listening!"

Casey started laughing.

"You haven't had the talk yet!? It's really simple! When a girl and boy love each other very much!"

I started to scream over Casey.

"Ahhh! Stop! Stop! Why is this even happening!?"

My mother held onto her sides and started dying of laughter.

"That's enough Casey!" She chuckled out.

She soon composed herself and then pointed at me.

"Since it's Nyx's birthday, I'll invoke the powers of Cool Mom and let him play hooky this one time." My mother said,

If only she knew how often I really played...