Chapter 17 - The monsters heart

I leaned back against the concrete walls of the school's basement. Taking a moment to examine my sketch pad. I had just been doodling for an hour without really thinking about it. Something inside me just really wanted to draw. Molly leaned in next to me, her head resting on my shoulder. My heart raced and I tried to just pretend like she wasn't cheek to cheek with me.

"Woah, that's really mystic looking.." She said in awe.

"Mystic? I don't think it's anything special."

I looked back over the sketch again,trying to see if I could grasp what she was saying. My eyes traced over the rose that settled in the middle of the sketch pad. Two hands were holding onto the thorny stem. One coming from above that looked like a demon's hand, while another from below, that was human and dirty. I'd imagine this being the hand of a peasant. I didn't bother drawing the people, it was just the hands coming in.

"It's deep somehow. Like, how the human hand is holding the rose so firmly. Like their fighting with everything they have."

I didn't even notice, but she was right. She definitely had the firmist grip on the rose. I even drew blood trailing from her hand, but not the demons.

"I see, you want it? Maybe I can leave this down here for you." I said and glanced over to her.

Her cheeks flushed and she moved away.

"Oh Seriously!" She cheered.

"Yeah sure, I honestly don't like looking at it."

"What!? Yeah, put it in my corner please?"

Her soul became overwhelmed with joy. Consuming every inch of her. It almost felt like she'd flood over with it. I carefully tore out the drawing and kept my eyes frozen on the devil's hand. I couldn't explain why, but I really hated this. It took a lot to not just tear his arm away. I quickly walked over to the corner and placed it against the pipe.

"By the way, I met my dad yesterday. He said he can help me with you."

She gasped.

"Really!" She squealed.

"Yeah, he said I could help you physically touch things too. So, maybe once I learn how to do things right. You can see your parents again."

The flooding river of joy suddenly came to a halt and was a steady calm. I turned back to her and her eyes were wide.

"Are you serious? Do you mean it?"

I looked away and scratched the back of my head.

"Don't get your hopes up. I said maybe, I don't know what I'll be able to do."

Even if it means asking my old man to help. The idea of that made my stomach twist, but I just ignored it. Like my stupid gripe with my old man is gonna stop me from helping Molly.

Suddenly I dropped face first onto the floor and felt Molly wrap her arms around me from behind.

"Thank you so much! Even if you can't! Thank you for trying!"

I grumbled.

"We're friends right? Don't worry about it." I coughed out.

She quickly let go of me and I sat up. The calm river of joy stayed within her and I tried to just relax. Her soul was so soothing to be around, I honestly could fall asleep here.

"So enough about me! What was your dad like? Was he some super cool psychic guy? Can he do tarot cards? Was Casey right about who she thought it was?"