Chapter 32 - To be king

-Novas perspective-

I leaned back against the rough bark of the tree and anxiously spun my knife around between my fingers. Nick said it would only take him a minute to get here. However, I was growing impatient. I needed to train.

Soon, I'd be graced with my wish, as Nick emerged from the tree line. He yawned and stretched his arms out in front of him.

"Sorry to keep you waiting. Your souls are really antsy right now. I don't think I've seen you like this before. Itching for a fight."

I dropped my knife and rolled my neck around.

"Yeah, well, things can change."

"What? Did your balls finally drop?" He joked. "Or, it's because you finally got a girlfriend, huh?"

"Still have no idea what that even is." I said and held my fist up and awaited him. "Engano didn't really have women around. Said they got in the way."

"That somehow doesn't surprise me." Nick replied.

When I finished, I immediately rushed him, aiming my fist for his head. He weaved it and took a step back, and I followed him around. Remember what Casey did. I made a habit of throwing my right hook every third strike. While Nick took his time to casually dodge me.

"So if it wasn't her, what got this fire lit under your butt!?" Nick asked.

He moved to dodge my right hook prematurely, and I grabbed a knife from my side. Quickly going in and slashing at him. His eyes grew wide and my blade met his face. However, it immediately scrapped against his scales. Then he jumped back.

"Dammit! You got that trick from that girl didn't you!?" Nick grumbled.

"You know, I never said she wasn't the reason I'm fighting right now. She said something to me that made a lot of sense."

I dashed forward and came in with my knife. Slashing and stabbing at him. However, it didn't last long before he kicked me in the chest and sent me sliding back on the ground.

"Oh yeah, like what?" Nick asked.

I stood up straight and put my knife away, good, he's not taking this fight lazily anymore.

"That I'm a diamond in the making. Engano told me once that life isn't gonna care if you cry, or wait for you to get strong. I figured that meant you were either born strong, or weak. But, I was wrong. The strong are the ones who face that intense pressure and come out on the other side."

Nick smirked.

"So, sparkles actually helped you out a lot huh?"

"I don't really get what her deal is. But she's been good to me. I plan on making it up to her."

Nick smiled a bit, which was odd for him.

"Listen, people like that. You should keep them close. I can tell from her soul, she really cares about you."

My shoulders relaxed a bit and I stood up straight.

"But why? It's only been a few moons I've known her."

"She resonates with you. I don't know her that well myself, but her soul says a lot."

"Like what?"

"Why don't you talk to her about it?" Nick said.

I looked away and scratched the back of my head.

"Sure, I guess that's fair."

Nick nodded.

"Now, about your martial arts. I think I was harsh before, you're not bad at all of them. I think we should actually focus on mixing them together now."