Chapter 41 - Selfish curse

My eyes traced over the fantastical library that we had dropped into. This entire time I was too worried about Casey to even notice where the hell we were. I glanced back and saw Nova and Casey talking. Her eyes were practically sparkling as he came over. My heart raced and I tried to just ignore the feeling. To think I actually poured my heart out, and I got rejected. Doesn't help to know if I'd acted sooner we’d probably be in a relationship by now. It made me wanna cry all over again, but I knew that was just childish at this point. I looked ahead and saw the rest of the group all watching me. Some with thankful eyes, others…well not so much. 

As I got close, Aeseria was the first to stand up, while the mohawk guy followed her lead. 

"So, Mohawk boy over here tells us you fought The Horn to save his life, that true?" She asked.

"My name's Mancio." The guy with the Mohawk called out, but Aeseria didn't seem to care. 

I looked away from her and scratched the back of my head. 

"It's more complicated than that.." 

"What the hell does that mean?" She demanded. 

"He had a cursed spirit attached to him before he ran off from me. So whatever negative emotion he was feeling, it heightened it." Nick added in and walked over.

While Boa rushed past them and hugged me. 

"Oh thank goodness you're alright Dumpling head!" She cried.

I froze for a moment, but slowly moved my arms around her. Her warmth, the faint smell of tobacco on her jacket. It reminded me of home. I relaxed for a moment and hugged her back. 

"Yeah, thanks for being there for me."  I mumbled.

She ran her fingers through my hair and slowly pulled away. Happily looking me over, with tears brimming in her eyes.

"Nyx, I'm not going anywhere again, alright?" She assured me.

"You promise?" I asked. " I don't wanna admit it. But it be nice to know you're here."

She smiled and nodded, then hugged me again. 

"I promise." She whispered.

"Nova! Wait! Wait!" Suddenly Casey's voice exploded to life. 

We both turned back and saw her grabbing for Nova, and she was bawling her eyes out. What the hell did that dick do to her!? I went to walk over, but Boa stopped me. 

"Hey, let me handle it okay? It's probably girl stuff anyways." 

I gripped her jacket a bit hard. But I just let go. 

"Right, okay." I said and Boa hurried past me. 

Then, that just left me with the rest.

"So, cursed spirit?" Aeseria continued. "What? Is it like one of those? The demons told me to situations?"

"Kind of, like I said, it's complicated."

"Then make it make sense."

I grumbled.

"Gonna be kind of hard to do, considering it's complicated. But I do owe an explanation."

"Well go on then." Nick said and leaned back against the wall. "We've been way more patient with you then we really need to be."

I sighed.

"So yes, I ran in because I wanted to help Mancio. However, that wasn't exactly my reason. I was mad at everything, at everyone. I wanted everyone there to feel exactly how Mancio and his girlfriend must've felt, how I felt."