Chapter 19 - Memories

The beast twisted its head around like a coiling snake and continued to mock Boa. Whose skin lost all shade of color. I opened my mouth to say something, but what was I supposed to do? Can I command that thing? Or will it just make it more angry?

"Hey! You get off Aunt Boa!" Casey yelled and marched over to Face Changer.

The beast abruptly stopped talking and turned its face toward Casey. It tried to hide behind its bright pink hair, but I still managed to tell it was flipping through faces. Casey put her hands on her hips and Cupcake stood right by her side. That's when the pink hair started to retract and disappeared into the seams of the monster's face. It's face flipped through a couple times and eventually stopped on a man's face. His skin was tan and his face laced with a rough aftershave look. A poof of pepper black hair came through and he finally opened and revealed his amber eyes. 

"¡Lo siento, Firecracker! ¡Lo siento! ¡Necesitábamos el dinero! Dinero, dinero, dinero." Face Changer croaked in a deep whining voice.

Casey's entire body trembled and her arms fell to her side. A wave of guilt swallowed her whole. 

"P-padre?" She mumbled.

"Para ti. ¡Todo por ti! Para ti."  Face Changer suddenly stopped talking and started laughing and I could feel the dread pouring off from Casey. 

"Enough Face-!"

Before I could even finish, Nick dashed in and kicked Face Changer in the jaw. It's head bashed against the ground again and immediately changed. It went back to the mask and his mouth opened wide. Then spikes shot out from Face Changers body like a porcupine. I moved Casey behind me and went to take the attack. 

A black blur dashed in front of me and shielded me from the spikes. With a simple turn of his head, I noticed it was Scar. Panic set in and I ran to check the damage. That's when I saw Boa was in front of him. However, Boa didn't look like Boa. Her skin was purple and lined with scales. The spikes Face Changer shot were broken to pieces on the ground before her. 

I turned back to Casey and she dropped down onto her butt. The panic inside her was at it's peak, I was surprised she wasn't screaming. 

"Casey, you okay?" I asked.

"Y-yeah, just. Didn't see that coming, thanks." She mumbled. 

"Don't thank me…" I said and stepped to the side.

And again, I was rendered speechless. Face Changer came from the sky and dove at Nick. Who looked a lot like Boa with dark red scales over his body. As Face Changer came in, Nick's arm doubled in size and turned a dark green shade. Then he bashed his fist into Face Changer, who crashed against the ground. A funnel of fire erupted from Face Changers mouth and came at Nick, who ran head first into the flame. Once Nick got to the other side, Face Changer shot up and buried its teeth into Nick's Leg. Then my heart sank as he ripped it off from Nick's body and started to eat it. 

"Nick!" I yelled and ran in.

However, Boa moved in front of me. Her arm held out and blocked my path.

"What are you doing!? He's gonna die!" I yelled.

Boa turned toward me, a shiver ran down my spine as I peered into her snake eyes.

"He'll just attack you two if you get in his way." She mumbled.

"Well, can't you help him!? You're all lizard person now, right?"

"Just watch, Nick isn't, normal."

I looked back toward Nick and watched him launch at Face Changer. He head butted him and made him stumble to his feet. Nick flung his hand at the beast and Ice consumed its legs. Then Nick leaped again and tackled it's neck, putting it in a choke hold. Face Changer started to panic, flipping through faces. First a young blonde woman, then an older woman with raven locks. It was at that moment, I saw Nick's smile fade and his grip tightened, which made Face Changer croak and his whole body spasm. Nick held him down and eventually, Face Changer just stopped moving. That's when I finally felt Face Changers emotions. It was only a flicker, but it was true fear.