Chapter 26 - The laughter of insanity

I leaned back against the hospital wall and closed my eyes. Doing my best to avoid looking at the Resident Evil monsters that trudged around. Don't look crazy, don't look crazy. I opened my eyes and looked down the halls. A man with a broken Neck made eye contact with me. His eyes were faded and his neck bone was practically poking out of his skin. While a little girl giggled and floated around him. Her legs crushed and mangled like they'd been run over. I even caught a glimpse of her right eye dancing in the wind as it clung to the crevice of her socket.

My hair stood up on end and I just looked away from them. I wonder if she even knows she's dead? For some reason today my soul connection wasn't as functional. Casey was the only person I could read, and I had no idea why. Something else to ask dad…

"Umm, Mr.Saira?"

A woman's voice called out and I jumped. Thankfully it was just a young nurse standing in front of me.

"Oh, yeah that's me." I replied.

"I'm sorry to say but your mother won't be free to talk today either. The doctors have her on a lot of pain medication right now. We'd like her to rest as much as she can."

I nodded. "That's fine, would you mind delivering this for me then?"

I lifted up a plastic bag and the nurse squinted her azure eyes at me. 

"What is this, may I ask?" 

I opened it up and showed it to her. 

"She told me, if she's ever locked up in a hospital. Don't bother with flowers, just bring me some comics." I chuckled. "I just want to fulfill her request."

The nurse laughed and ran her fingers through her curly lemon locks.

"That's so sweet, I can definitely make sure she gets theses."

"Than-"

I choked on my words as an old man stumbled over. It was quickly apparent that he wasn't alive. His skin looked like rotting meat, while his eyes were sunken in and barely visible. He reached his boney blistered fingers out to the lady and swung at her hips, groaning as his hands went right through her and me. 

"Umm, Mr. Saira, are you okay?"

I jumped and glanced back at the nurse. A look of concern rested in her eyes. I took a step back and forced a chuckle. 

"Oh sorry! It's just been, crazy ya know?" I sighed and glanced back at mom's room. "I get spacey like that sometimes when she comes to mind."

I looked back to the nurse and saw the old man attempting to kiss her. She shivered as his face connected to hers.

"Oooh, I've gotta turn down that A/C." She mumbled. "But I understand it's hard to see your mom like this. But Doctor CaliGari is one of the best doctors we have."

The ghost just kept trying to kiss her now, somehow managing to pucker out his dried and cracked lips. I didn't know if I wanted to laugh, or vomit. Good thing she couldn't see my mouth. Once she took my bag of comics, I quickly moved away from her. 

"Y-yeah, I trust you guys. My Aunt Boa said a lot of good things about him. But I really should get going." I told her and turned to walk away. 

As I turned, I met face to face with the bent neck man. Who still had his amber eyes frozen on mine. Just go Nyx… I hesitated, but I kept forward. Right through his body.

"Aren't you the one that's supposed to bring us rest?" He croaked." Your eyes, I can see it in them."

His words slithered into my mind and shackled my legs to the floor. What am I really doing? Shouldn't somebody be helping them? Isn’t that my job after all? My purpose? I glanced back, and my eyes froze on the little girl who was still dancing around. I took a breath and forced myself back around and hurried down the hall.