Chapter 69 - Serpens Caput

-Boas perspective-

The worried look in Casey's eyes hadn't left since I said that. I could tell the guilt was really eating at her. I sighed and reached out, resting my hand on her head. 

"Listen, Enchilada. I really think you should just go talk to him." I said and kneeled down to her. "He cared a lot about you. But he's not having an easy time with all the stuff going on. The Acolytes, the wolf attacks, apparently his mom came back…"

"What!?" She squeeked. 

Man, I'm really just opening my big fat mouth too much here…

"I'm just trying to say you shouldn't blame yourself for his mental decline lately. He's got a lot going on that isn't about you. But I think, he'd appreciate a friend right now."

She nodded and slowly pushed herself up. "It's late now, so I'll make him something and bring it to him tomorrow."

I smiled. "That's the spirit."

Casey then walked over to the edge of the forest and grabbed a small plastic bag and ran it back over to me. "And I know Orion would love some yummy lunch too." 

"Thanks Enchilada." I said and grabbed the bag from her. "Guess we both have some cheering up to do!"

I walked through the bustling halls of the hospital and hurried my way down to my sister's room. My heart raced a bit as I walked, there was so much going on. Salem's still knocked, Orion probably still hates me, and any little mistake can maybe cripple my sister forever. Yeah, I definitely wish I was drunk and on tour instead of here. As the thought came, Nyx's face came to mind. I can't imagine the stress that kids going through right now, facing his demons head on. I really need to do the same.

Soon I got to the door and opened it up. Finding Orion in the room, his face was burried into a book. My eyes immediately went to my sister though. Then my heart stopped, her skin, it had color again! I dropped everything in my hand and ran over to her bedside. 

"Oh my gosh!? Orion look! Salems peach skin is back!" I cheered and ran my hands over her cheek and through her hair. 

He chuckled and took a breath. "I had a little break through, it's nothing to completely repair everything. But I've cleared somethings away to help her heart out a bit."

"Oh my gosh I could kiss you!" I laughed and stopped mid way. Oh crap did I just say that!? To him of all people!?

I glanced over and saw his face was still buried in the book. For a moment, I saw the old him. Sitting back on the couch and reading away about spells and treasurer, while I laid up against him and watched a horror flick. 

"I'm sorry I'm taking so long. I promise you, I'll figure this out. I won't rest." He said. 

I stood up straight and looked toward him. The scruff of his beard was becoming a bit wild, and his clothes looked a bit rough and stained. Has he even moved from this spot since the last time I saw him? 

"Orion, can I ask you something?" I asked. 

He lowered his book and slowly shut it.  

"Yeah, sure, what is it?" He asked. 

"Why are you trying so hard? Not that I don't want you too, I just. I didn't think Salem ment this much to you." 

He leaned back and scratched his beard. "Well, it's a lot of things. For one, Salem is a friend. She helped me out a lot in the past. I owe it to her to do my best. Not only that, but this is a real test of my abilities, the abilities of my lost people. It's a challenge to see if we can rise from all of this." He took a breath and looked up at the ceiling. "It's like, if I can't figure this out. I lose to the guardians again. They already took my family, my history, and now there trying to take away and torture my friends. I don't wanna lose anymore, it's like, I'm always losing."