Chapter 46 - Emotional Support ghost

-A week later-

I leaned back against the cold walls of the school's basement and focused on the sketch of Aeseria. Molly leaned over my shoulder and rested her head against me. Aeserias hair was surprisingly difficult to draw,  trying to make it seem as fluid as my memory of her. 

"So, looks like I won't get to see you draw for a while then huh?" Molly asked.

"You'll definitely see me. I just won't be here consistently. This has honestly become my favorite place to draw."

She giggled. "Is it because of little ol me?"

"Honestly? Yeah. Other than Casey, you're like my closest friend."

Molly pulled away from me and I turned toward her. Then she snatched my cheek and pinched me!

"Ah-! What the hell Molly!"

I took my mask off and rubbed my cheek, it freaking burned!

"I just wanted to make sure you weren't a figment of my imagination. The Nyx I know would just tell me no, and make fun of me for thinking it."

"Well, maybe that Nyx is gone. Maybe this is the new Nyx."

She tilted her head.

"Is that a good thing? You've been through a lot Nyx. And you're acting as stone cold as ever, maybe even more than usual." 

As she spoke, I looked away from her.

"I can't afford to be the same, and I can't afford to let my emotions consume me like that again. That's why my dad's sending me away to Tokyo with my sister, just in case something happens again."

"How are you and your dad's relationship after everything?"

"Don't really know, considering he's been busy ever since he closed Monster lane. I have no idea what he thinks. The last conversation we had was him telling me I'd be going to live with my sister tomorrow."

"How does that make you feel?"

"Generic therapist talk again?" 

"As your undead friend, it is my job to make sure you don't go on another rampage and cannibalize someone!"

I groaned.

"I don't understand why everyone is taking the whole. I almost ate a person thing so lightly. I figure that would freak people out."

"Well, I'm dead so. Not like you can do much to me. Plus, you're the only person who can talk to me."

I sighed. "Fair enough."

"So! My question."

"Fine, fine." I closed my sketch book and set it down. "I guess I feel…like a disappointment, like an extra weight."

"Why's that?"

"I mean, it isn't just him. My mom's not waking up in the hospital right now because I ran off, my dad lost his Acolytes because I lost control, and Casey lost her eye. Normally I'd just want to disappear."

"But?"

"But, this time around,I want to be better. They all fought so hard because they loved me, and I was just too scared to believe it. I was so used to people hating me, I almost didn't believe it was possible. Which is why running away and avoiding them isn't the answer right now. That's just gonna make them more sad. So, I want to be different."

"I see, so that stuff you were telling Aeseria said. It really hit you huh?" She suddenly smirked and nudged me. "Is that why you're drawing her?"

My cheeks became hot and I looked away.