Chapter 29 - Casey's Glitties!

-Casey's perspective-

I watched as Nyx slowly disappeared into the treeline. A part of me wanted to jump and tag along, but I stopped myself. Just what would I really be doing for Nyx at this point? It's not like my science is gonna help at all. What could I do…?

The memory of when we first met Nick came into mind. I was so scared I could barely move, and when I saw that saggy thing Nyx tried to fight. Not to mention Face Changer, Nyx had to face all that virtually alone.

I glanced over at Cupcake, who was poking his tongue out at Nick's cookies. Which Nick responded by slapping poor Cupcake. 

That's right! Nick is super strong! I shot up and ran over to him. 

"Big bro! Big bro! Can you teach me to be super strong like you?" I asked.

Nick took another bite of his cookie, then turned toward me. He didn't say a word and I just smiled harder at him. Soon, he swallowed and took a breath.

"Oh? Asking me instead of Nova? I see you actually wanna get strong huh?" Nick said with a chuckle. 

Which promoted Nova to grumble. 

"Whatever, don't act like you're not the obvious choice. You literally beat me a few days ago."

Oh no! I really could've just asked Nova!

"Well no! It's just, I figured your specialty was in hunting is all! Nick just seemed like the martial artist type!" I said with a forced laugh.

Oh Gosh, did I just make it worse!?

"Your wolf slayer style could use some work too. Without the weapons added." Nick pointed out. 

Oh my gosh I actually made it worse!

"What do you mean exactly…?" Nova asked. 

"You're mixing Lua martial arts, with Muay Thai and boxing. Plus you've decided to add weapons, that's gonna complicat your movements. Focus on one thing at a time. Master it, then think about fusing. Because you're not really great at any of them."

Nova chewed on his lip, but nodded. 

"You're right, so would you mind showing me something again?" He choked out. 

He sounded so sad…I walked over to him, but Nick's voice halted my steps.

"Sure, I can teach you both." Nick said and looked at me. "Casey, what do you say about learning monster martial arts?" 

"Monster martial arts?" I asked.

"Boa! You're gonna teach her familiar resonate, right?" Nick called out. 

Boa looked back towards Nick, while Zack was leaning into her. She smacked his face and shoved him back.

"I planned on waiting a bit…but yeah." She replied and turned back to Zack. "Hey! Learn some personal space, kid!"

"Ummm, explain?" I asked.

"I'll teach you to fight like you're familiar. Don't worry about the other stuff." Nick said. 

"O-oh, okay." I said and glanced back at Nova, who was now standing up and not looking in my direction. 

I really did it…

"Casey, fight me with your familiar." Nick said. 

My entire body shook.

"Whaa!?" I squeaked.