Chapter 5 - My bloods still red

"Nyx! That's illegal!" Casey shrieked.

"And?" I asked.

She ran ahead on the sidewalk and stopped in front of me.

"AND! You could get arrested for interfering with a crime scene!" Casey roared. "Why don't we just visit your mom instead?"

I grumbled and stopped walking.

"For one, the doctors said she's in critical condition. I can't even see her if I wanted to. So what's sulking outside of her hospital room gonna do? And just be happy I even agreed to go to school. Whatever attacked us last night wasn't human, I doubt the cops are gonna be able to figure out what's going on. They practically laughed at me when I said the guy had three fingers!"

Casey opened her mouth, but not a word came out. Her eyes left mine and drifted down to the ground.

"Nyx, I just, I don't want you to go to jail.." She mumbled.

I went to fire back, but this cold sensation wrapped around me. This feeling of bewilderment and dread poured off of Casey. Her dad, that's who she was thinking of. I stepped over to her and rested my hand on her shoulder.

"Listen, Casey." She hesitated, but she slowly looked up into my eyes. "My mom was hurt, because that thing wanted me. If I don't do something, he could hurt a lot more people,including you. And I'm not letting that happen."

She bit her lip, but nodded. Then something strange happened, I started to feel insatiably hungry. I moved my hand from her and quickly stepped back. The feeling didn't die, but it started to fade.

"I understand, so maybe, maybe I can come with you. Like we planned before." She suggested.

"Are you sure? I know you don't like to take a lot of risks." I replied.

"It'll be fine! Look, you agreed to come to school, so I'll play watch while you investigate later. We can search for Dino Fred too!"

"Thomas."

"Oh yeah! By the way! Have your eyes always been white?"

I blinked a few times.

"Wait what?"

....

As soon as we got to school, I took off towards the bathroom. White eyes!? My eyes are white now!? I rushed to the dirty mirror in the bathroom and stared into my own eyes. She was right, my irises weren't brown anymore, they were porcelain white. I rubbed my eyes and splashed water over my face, but they never changed. Let me check everything.

I reached around and took my mask off, then traced my eyes over my exposed cheek. No changes there. My body suddenly shuttered as I felt another presence behind me. Whatever it was, it felt exhausted. A ghost? Here? That's never happened before. I turned around, and my eyes met those of another student.

"What the h-"

He stuttered and caught himself. Not finishing his statement and hurrying into a stall. That tired feeling slowly began to shift to one of disgust and confusion. I sighed and moved my mask back on. Right, I disgusted him. But how did I...feel that? I looked back into the mirror and took in my eyes again. Come to think of it, I was throwing up something black last night. I looked down to my hands and remembered the creature had black fluid too.

No way, am I turning into that thing!?I rushed into the stall and locked myself in, then I took out my craft art knife and stabbed it into my thumb. Relief washed over me as a trail of scarlet leaked from my cut.