Chapter 50 - Goodbye Monster

The sound of a soft guitar filled the Mexican restaurant and managed to just barely sooth my soul.  My mind kept replaying that scene in the hospital over and over again. The feeling of hate that flowed into me as I controlled it, the visions of the old Hag crying over mom. I wanted to ask for some advice, but I don't think dad's really in a mood to talk. Plus, Nick isn't answering his phone, and neither was Cyrus. But I guess that's what I should expect from Cyrus, since he's a part of a guild and all. Hell, I'd even take Zack now for answers…

I sat back in the booth seat and took a breath. Casey should've been here twenty minutes ago, what the hell was she doing? Was she afraid of me now? Did she hold a grudge because of what I did to her eye? Can I blame her…?

"Nyx!" 

Suddenly her voice broke through all the music. I turned around and saw her rushing over. I stood up and waved to her, and my eyes connected to her glittering Amber eye. But quickly my gaze fell to her eye patch. I don't know what I expected. Of course she wasn't just magically better. There were a few scars on her cheek too, and around her eye. I did that to her, to the girl I lo- My train of thought came to a halt as Casey buried her fist into my stomach. I felt my lunch almost come up and I keeled over and dropped to my knees.

"Ah, what the hell?" I croaked.

"That's for not visiting me you big meanie!" Casey huffed. 

"I didn't think you or your Abeula wanted to see me." 

"You're my best friend, you dummy! Of course I wanted to see you! Fred and I were bored all day at home."

I slowly pushed myself up and held my stomach. Yeah, she's definitely not scared of me…

Soon I hobbled back to my seat and she sat across from me. I laid my head on the table and looked up at her, and noticed a new necklace around her neck. It was a simple butterfly pendant. 

"Hey! I know you confessed and all! But that doesn't mean you can just stare at my chest openly now!" Casey whined and I quickly sat up. 

"N-no I wasn't-"

"I knew this top was cute and all but-"

I groaned over her. "I was looking at your necklace idiot! Just because I like you or whatever doesn't mean I'm magically a pervert now."

Her cheeks turned a bit red and she chuckled. As she did our waiter came over and set the menus down in front of us, then bowls of chips and salsa. 

As I said that, the waiter came by and set the menus Infront of us both. Then a bowl of chips and salsa. After taking our orders he scurried off. Which promoted Casey to immediately take a fist full of chips and a large chunk of the salsa dip with them. Then she stuffed her face. Salsa staining her cheeks and the fancy top she was just gushing about. 

Which made me chuckle. "Yeah, I see dying really hasn't changed you."

"Uh huh it did! I have this neaty weety eye patch now!" She said with a mouth full of chips. She quickly swallowed and got into a boxer's pose. "I'm like a cool assassin now! Or I can even be a natural pirate!"

"You'd make the worst assassin ever."

"No way! I'd be great!"

"You'd probably leave glitter everywhere you walked."

She puffed out her cheeks. "Rude."

"So, where you get the necklace from?" I asked. 

As the words left my lips, I watched her smile slowly begin to fade. A more somber look taking its place.