Chapter 42 - Legends

Orion led us down the isles of his magnificent porcelain bookshelves. The shelves themselves almost reached to the ceiling, and he somehow managed to fill each and everyone of these up. That's insane.  Nick didn't seem to really care about all of this, but I was a bit impressed. However, my mind wasn't exactly focused either. There were so many mysteries in the world I could ask about, so much art I could possibly admire. Yet, none of this interested me. Not a single bit of this was relevant. Casey's crying was constantly scratching at the back of my head. Nova hadn't returned to us, and Neither did Boa. So I had no idea what was going on. 

I wonder if it was my fault? Did he break it off because I confessed? Was it my fault? I sighed and just focused forward. This is petty and nonsensical. Why am I worried about her at a time like this? We're about to learn about curses and a way to undermine the gods. I should be rejoicing, this means I can help mom. The memory of our last moment's together came to mind and a twinge in my chest came in. I was really bad to her. She'd be devastated if I got executed. I wonder if it's weird that I'm not freaking out about that? Maybe I deserve it after all…

Soon Orion came to a stop at the end of the isle. There was a small wooden bookshelf that had runes scratched in all over it. He reached his hand out and mumbled something. A turquoise shine came from his fingertips, and a huge spark of green electricity exploded around the shelf. Then, he reached out and grabbed a white book. Upon removing it, I could tell it was more like a journal. It had rope bound around it that Orion slowly unwrapped.

"So, what is this exactly? Did you end up stealing all the magic spells?" Nick asked so boldly. 

"Not quite." Orion replied.

He moved over to a table and sat down, opening the book and flipping through its pages. Each page was handwritten, and even had drawings in them too. 

"Did you write that?" I asked.

"Yes, I did." He replied and leaned back in his chair, his eyes gazing over us. "This library is a collection of everything in our world. Books of science, history, myths, lies, revolutions. Everything is in here. I'm a collector of knowledge. As a mage, my race is very non existent due to the guardians genocide of my people. So, now we're few to none. So, I've made it my mission to collect all the history of my people here. Spells, stories, fragments, tapestries. This book here is my notes from stories, histories and observations of the guardians domains."

"So, this is a book written by you?" Nick asked. 

"Precisely."

"What's the point of getting it out and not just telling us?" 

"It's appreciated that you assume I can remember everything. However, I'm not the guardian of Health and light. My mind ain't what it used to be." He chuckled.

"I don't mean to interrupt, but do you have information about vampire history? Maybe even Dracula?" Aeseria spoke up from behind.

"Ah, yes, I think I have something you'd take a great interest in actually. Related to the demise of the king."

"Well, let's focus on the task at hand now." I interrupted. 

"Still selfish…" Aeseria said with a huff. 

"Of course, of course." Orion said. 

He flipped to a page in the book and opened it up, displaying a watercolor painting of a lake and a cave. There was some writing that was unrecognizable to me beside it, definitely a different language. He looked up at us and pointed at the words.

"So, this is what we'd call the fountain of youth." Orion said with a chuckle and shook his head. "I thought your auntie found it for a moment. But anyways, this place has many legends behind it. There was a great war between the children of the guardians and the guardians themselves years and years ago. Legend says that the guardian of light created a lake that is so perfect, it can heal all wounds, curses, and even old age."