Chapter 12 - Family

I dropped down on Casey's bed and watched the ceiling fan spin round and round. All things considered today was a win. Aunt Boa pretty much confirmed Osiris was my dad, I managed to get in the hospital and confirm mom was at least alive. We all learned Aunt Boa is in on, whatever is going on.

"So why do I feel like I lost?" I mumbled.

Casey dropped down next to me on her bed, and joined me in my existentialism.

"How are you feeling Nyx?" Casey asked.

"I don't know, honestly. It's... a lot to take in."

"Yeah, I can only imagine. I hope your mom gets better."

I nodded.

"Yeah, I'm trying to not blame myself for it, ya know?"

"Yeah, I do. When my padra went to jail I did that a lot too. So I get it."

I looked over at her and she looked back at me.

"Why do you blame yourself for that?" I asked.

"Because, he did it for me and the family. He wanted me to have a better life in America. So much so that he gave it all up for us to be here." There was silence for a moment. Casey's eyes drifted down and she chewed on her lip. "Sometimes I wish he would've just accepted what we had.."

Her eyes got watery.

"Hey, it's okay. Tell me more about it. You don't bring him up often, or your time in Mexico."

She sniffled.

"It wasn't the greatest, that's why. But we had family, so it didn't matter how bad it was. My big strong Padre..."

"What was it like there? In Mexico?"

"We had a smaller house. Abuela and I shared a room. While my parents stayed in the living room. So we didn't have much.."

"I see, I can understand your father's desperation then."

She nodded and moved closer to me. Resting her face into my chest.

"I wish I could've helped. Maybe if I worked, maybe if I wasn't born it wouldn't have been as hard."

"Hey! Hey! Look at me." I demanded.

She hesitated, but slowly looked up.

"He did that because he loved you. I don't think he'd be happy if you were gone. He writes to you a lot, right? He loves to see your awards right?"

"I just wish I could see him! I don't care about the house! Or the fancy school! I want my padra! I couldn't even go see him!" She cried and grabbed onto my shirt.

I pulled her into me and held her against my chest. Then ran my fingers through her hair.

"I'm sorry Casey." I whispered. "I'm here for you."

She started to cry and pulled me in more. So I just held onto her. I knew physical touch was her love language. So I hoped this was enough to let her know I cared. Especially after all the stuff she did for me this week. She cried and cried. Using my shirt as her tissue. Till eventually her eyes ran dry and she just laid there. It was like she was defeated. I wonder how long she's been holding this in?

"I'm sorry Nyx, I'm sorry, I know you've got a lot going on and-"

"Stop talking. You're my best friend, remember? I don't mind being here for you. The world doesn't revolve around me ya know?"

She nodded and stayed still. So I let her stay like that. She didn't move her face away from my chest, almost like she was scared to look up.

"Ya know, this reminds me of the day we met. When you locked yourself in the closet of the abandoned building?"