Chapter 3 - The Red Calender

"I thought it was cute!" Casey protested.

"The severed head of a pony is not cute." I replied.

"Whaaat, no way! Even if I put glittys and stickies on it!?"

"So putting stickers and glitter on a rotting zombie makes it cute?"

"Well you'd have to add a poofy dress too!"

I rolled my eyes. 

"Of course, how could I forget the dress?"

We sat back on the couch and decided to take a break from the investigation. None of the other photos yielded any results, and we still had no explanation for the red eyed guy. Even if we chop it up to some camera malfunction, that doesn't change the fact something was watching us.

I posted that image and the clutter movement to a sub reddit and waited to see what theories people had. Hopefully a better debunk of everything going on.

"The dress is the most important part! I bet if I put glitter on your scar it would be cute too." 

I winced and looked away. 

"Nothing's ever gonna make my face look cute." I muttered.

"H-hey! That's not what I meant!"

"Sure it's not, I know I'm ugly. You don't have to lie."

"Nyx no! You're plenty cute!" She leaned over and the heat rose to my cheeks. 

"Yeah, in a Frankenstein's monster kind of way?" I asked.

"What? No, like in a cute eeyore type of way." She giggled.

"Was that supposed to be a compliment?" 

"What!? You don't think eeyore's cute!?"

"Yeah, cute for an emo donkey."

"That's exactly what you are!"

"You seriously need to work on how you choose to cheer people up…"

"Oooh~ What's this? A secret love confession I've popped in on?" 

My skin crawled at the lull of my mothers voice. 

"What is with your timing!" I groaned.

"Oh? Should I come back then? Did I ruin the first kiss?"

My mother teased and strolled into the living room, a sweet tangy aroma following after her. She had two boxes in her hand. One looked like an Amazon order, while the other looked like something from a bakery. 

"I thought you were getting pizza? What are those delectable morsels?" I asked.

I noticed her right arm was shaking underneath the boxes, and I shot up to help her. What was she thinking using her bad arm? 

"I'm surprised! I figured the smell at this point would be enough to give it away." 

I took the boxes from her and stared at her wide eyed.

"No way!" 

This flame of excitement erupted inside me and I ran over to the coffee table. I tossed the boxes down and ripped the top off. And I practically drooled at the sight of those steaming white buns. 

"Pork buns!? How did you!? Where did you..!?"

"I went to shoguns." Mom giggled.

"Isn't that like, an hour drive!?" I asked. 

"Technically two hours, an hour there and back, but yes." 

"Why did you…?"

"It's because I love you, and I know pork buns are your absolute favorite." She hummed and ruffled my hair.