Chapter 30 - The broken hearted

-Nick's perspective-

I glanced over at Zack, who was still trying to ask out Boa. At first, I thought it was kinda funny. The two most annoying people get annoyed by each other. But then he just kept going, and going...Boa was shoving his face away and Origin was slithering around Zack. But, it knew better than to attack. Just as the thought came in, I had a great idea.

I walked over and grabbed Boa by her hips and pushed her back into a tree. Her eyes grew wide and I leaned in.

"Hey Zack, can you leave?" I asked.

"Oh my gosh heaven..." Boa mumbled.

"W-what! Hey, what are you!?" Zack started, but I leaned into Boa and closed my eyes.

"Suit yourself if you want to watch." I replied.

"The hell!" Zack complained.

My lips were just inches from Boa, and that's when his voice vanished. I froze there and opened my eyes again, seeing Boa stare at me like a deer in headlights. I took a moment to look her over, then moved back.

"Thank god! The idiots gone!" I chuckled.

"Hey! What the hell!? Seriously!?" She complained.

"What? You didn't think I was actually gonna kiss you right?" I asked and turned back to her.

"Well..I..well yeah! You don't just push a girl against a tree and look at her like that! Then walk away!" She whined and pouted.

I smiled and laughed, taking a moment to sit down on the grass.

"I think I would've kissed you by now. But every time your heart flutters. You're thinking of Orion deep down." I commented and laid back.

"W-what, how did-! Right, I forget sometimes with all the freaky stuff you can do. That you're still a soul reader." She mumbled and walked over.

I closed my eyes and took a breath.

"Yeah, it's surprisingly deep rooted. I can't even get close to your heart if I wanted to.Then again, it's not like I really wanted to anyways." I yawned.

I heard her sit down next to me and she huffed.

"You're such a meanie, ya know that?" She mumbled.

"Who was he?" I asked.

"The first guy to ever dump me.." She grumbled.

"Wow, you must be dating really desperate guys for him to be the first." I teased.

She playfully slapped my face.

"Shut up, it's hard enough dealing with Face Changer. Let alone accepting that...that.."

"That you're in love." I answered.

"Please, don't say that."

"Love is the strongest emotion I can feel for some reason. I know someone's feelings for someone else even before they do. And you have been avoiding it, burying it down deep."

"I don't need him." She said firmly.

"How are you doing? Honestly? I know Face Changer is a lot to handle."

I opened my eyes and looked over to her. She had her legs tucked into her chest and her eyes on the grass. The feeling of guilt and sorrow caressed at my skin as it seeped off her body.

"He's terrible, my chains are barely keeping him in place. Everyday I go to reinforce them, and he just brings back...Sophia."

"Thank you for taking on the job. I know it's torture for you."

"It's fine, it's for Nyx after all. Besides, I think life's tryna tell me something."

"And what might that be?"

She took a heavy breath and closed her eyes.

"To stop running from everything. I ran from Sarah because I was jealous, I ran from Orion because I didn't want to face the music, and I ran from...what happened to Sophia."

"No matter what you want to believe, you'll never be able to escape from the past. It's always a part of you, no matter where you go, or what you do. Eventually, you'll have to see it, and it can devour you."

"Wow, how uplifting."

"You're not getting it. I said it can devour you. Not that it will. You're strong, I know you can beat it. But you'll only lose if you don't face it."

"Nick...I'm not a good person. I don't think I can..."

"And who is exactly? If you focus on all the wrong things you did in life. You'd drive yourself crazy. Just focus on the here and now. Let this Boa face the past Boa. Because you're not the same person anymore."

"And how do you know that! Mr. Old wise sage?"

"Because, we change everyday. No one ever stays the same. It's like the sky, It looks exactly the same as a moment ago. But the earth is rotating. So even at this moment right now, it wasn't the same as the one a second ago."

I watched her slide down on the grass and she looked up at the sky. Her eyes wide as she reached out her hand.

"Were you always this handsome and smart?" She asked with a small giggle.

"My old sensei had these same conversations with me. He taught me everything I know. Fighting, cooking, and alot of life lessons."

"Well, I'd love to meet him one day."

"I think he'd like to meet you too. But sadly, he passed away."

She looked over to me.

"Oh Nick I'm so sorry."

"It's fine, really. He was the best Sensei, the best dad I ever had. But I don't like to get sad thinking about him. After all, he brought me so many smiles." I hummed.

She nodded, and we both laid back. Letting the breeze dance over us. It was nice, just like the old days with Sensei Kenichi.

"So Nick, do you, have someone precious to you too?" Boa asked.

"I don't think so." I replied.

"So that's not a no?"

"I don't want to talk about this with the chick who drools over me."

"Come-on!" She shoved my arm. "I just spilled my guts to you!"

I grumbled.

"Fine, fine."

"I say, I don't think so. Because I don't know for sure what it is. But, there's someone. A stranger. I don't have any reason to love them. Yet, everytime I see their face. I feel something tugging at my heart for them. Like someone I've known for years. Just when I feel like that itch is about to be scratched though, she always runs away. And for some reason, that hurts."

She looked over to me, I felt the pity and empathy start to flood in. Her hand reached out to me but I smacked it away.

"Don't touch me."

"We were having a moment!"

"Whatever, anyways yeah. Plus the war Guardian is really into me. I know if I dated anyone she'd make them fight her, or something."

"Woah what!? Why wouldn't you date her!? That's like a Greek goddess wanting you."

"Because my heart is somewhere else." I said quickly. "Besides, I don't think my mom would approve."

She snorted.

"Oh my gosh that's so adorable. You're a mama's boy!"

"It's funny, I think my mom's about your age too,you predator." I teased.

"Oh shut it!" She yelled.

And I just laughed. Ya know, maybe Nyx's group isn't so bad.